Prologue

I was standing in my kitchen, listening to all of the messages that have piled up in my voicemail over the past couple weeks.

"Patrick, come on, pick up." It was Pete. "I know you're home. Isolating yourself isn't going to make things any better. Trust-"

"Me," I finished his sentence for him, "Yeah, I know." Delete.

"Hello. This message is for Patrick Stump." The message was automated. "It's regarding the-"

"Don't care," I muttered. Delete.

"Honey, this is your mom." I rolled my eyes. "I know right now things are tough, but you shouldn't shut us out like this."

"Tough doesn't even begin to describe what things are like right now, mom." Delete.

"Hey. Patrick." Joe's voice sounded. "I haven't seen you in a while. Are you going to come to the Christmas party tomorrow? I know you haven't really been out of the house since...since...you know. But I think it would really be good for you to come and be with people who really care about you."

There was a pause in the message before he went on to say, "Well...I really don't have much else to say. So...I guess I just hope to see you there. Talk to you later." The message was from yesterday and the machine told me that that was the last message.

I stood there for a little bit, letting Joe's message sink in. I don't know why his was the only one I listened to in its entirety. He basically said what everyone else has been saying to me. So why I listened to his? I had no clue.

I bit my lip before deleting that message just like I had the other messages, but this time I picked up the phone. I dialed a number and held the phone up to my ear, waiting for the person I called to pick up.

"Patrick?"

"Hey mom. Do you think you can you come over and watch my son for me? I have somewhere I need to go," I rambled off, not explaining myself any further.

"O-Of course. I-I'll be right over." She didn't ask why and I'm kind of glad she didn't. I felt like I was using her because of my current state, and I felt bad about it, I really did. And I still do, but...you know, since I'm the only one now, sometimes I need someone else to help me out and watch him. That someone is usually my mom. And it's not like it was a problem either - she absolutely loved Parker as he loved her.

"Thanks. See you soon." I hung up the phone and heaved a sigh, walking into the living room, "Hey, Parker."

My son looked up at me from the blocks he was banging against each other.

"Grandma's coming over to watch you."

"Yay!" He exclaimed, clapping his hands together excitedly. I couldn't help but laugh a little, something I hadn't done in a while.