Lesson's Learned

Chapter One: The Test

I ran home as fast as I could praying I could beat my mother home. I flew through the house and straight to the bathroom with the brown paper bag in my right hand. The tears started streaming when I opened the bag, I could feel my hands shaking. How could this be happening, I had just turned sixteen a few months ago and now I was taking a pregnancy test. I crossed my fingers as I sat down on the tub to wait for the results. It seemed like the longest ten minutes of my life. When the timer on my phone went off I froze. I heard my mother open and shut the front door, so I grabbed the test and everything and ran to my room.

“Emily sweetie you home?” she yelled up the stairs. I through everything in my top dresser drawer and plopped down on my bed just as she opened my bedroom door. “Hey sweetie you okay? You look like you have been crying.” she said standing in my door way. I nodded my head obviously lying. “Yeah im ok. Jason and I just had a little fight that’s all. No big deal.” I said wiping my eyes. “Well you guys have been together for going on two years now and you spend all your free time together so your bound to fight sometimes.” she said walking over to me. I didn't really know what else to say so I just started making stuff up. “Yeah we were arguing over stupid stuff, honestly I don't remember what we were fighting about. But we have a date tonight at seven so we will just talk about it then. It will all work out okay.” I finished. “Okay im going to go get something to eat, you want something?” she asked standing up. “No thanx” “Okay.” she said walking out of my room. I waited until she got all the way downstairs so I could shut my door. I turned around and starred at my dresser before walking over to it.

I walked over and opened the top dresser drawer and pulled the test out to read it. I held it face down afraid to look at it. Just when I gained the courage to flip it over my cell phone rang. “Hello?” I asked. “Hey baby girl we still on for tonight?” Jason asked. I thought about the question, if this test in my hand was positive we would have tons to talk about. “Yeah sure dinner and a movie right?” I asked, hands still shaking. “Yeah babe” “Okay” I said. “I love you see you tonight.” Jason finished. “Mmk I love you too.” I said hanging up. I walked over to my bed and sat down. I thought about how scared I was and how I wasn't ready to have a baby yet. My head was full of regret. Then I thought back to the day this whole thing started, what was I thinking. Yes I loved Jason but maybe we made a mistake that day. When we first made the choice to start sleeping together a few months ago we talked about what we would do if I was ever to get pregnant. We agreed that we would work through it together, but that was when it was just talk not the real deal. I decided that before I flipped out anymore I better look at the test. I closed my eyes and flipped it over. I took a deep breath before opening my eyes.

I looked at the test and the tears started to fall, not tears of joy. I never thought that one word could change your life forever. Positive. At first I didn't know what to do except cry. I laid back on my bed and looked up at the ceiling. I didn't know what to do so I grabbed my phone and called my best friend, Casey. I waited a few seconds for her to answer. “Hey Emily whats up?” she answered. I started to cry even harder. “Emiily whats wrong ?” she pleaded. “I need you to come over asap!” I said trying to hold back tears. “Okay, im getting in the car now.” “Okay thanx” I said hanging up. I rolled over and cried into my pillow. I was in no way shape or form ready to raise a baby. I laid there for a few minutes until I heard my mom let someone in the front door. I could hear people talking downstairs. “Emily, Casey's here im sending her up.” my mom yelled. “Okay, thanx” I responded. I shoved the pregnancy test under my mattress. I heard a quiet knock at the door.

“Emily, it's Casey can I come in?” she asked. “Yeah come on in” I said sitting up. She opened the door and walked over and sat down next to me. “Emily whats wrong?” she asked. I got up and walked over to shut my bedroom door. “Come on Emily whats wrong??” she begged. “It's hard to say” I said sitting down next to her. “Well then just come out and say it then, like ripping off a band-aid” she said. “Okay” I said reaching under my mattress to grab the test. I held it in my hand for a second before showing it to Casey. “What's going on?” she asked with a confused look on her face. “I'm pregnant!” I said starting to cry again. She leaned over and hugged me. “It's gonna be okay Emily, it's gonna be okay.” she said in a comforting tone. We sat there for a little while just talking. “Well maybe the test was wrong, it happens.” she said trying to help me. I nodded. “Yeah maybe but I don't think so. It fits im late and throwing up a lot. I'm so scared Casey. What am I going to do?” she shook her head. “I don't know Emily, but you need to go see a doctor to make sure the test wasn't wrong. You should tell your mom too.” she said. “No I can't tell her not before im sure and not before im ready!” I responded. “Ok I won't say anything I promise.” she finished. She tried her best to calm me down but it was basically no use. I was terrified and nothing was going to change that. We sat on my bed until six and then I had to get ready for my date with Jason.

Casey took the pregnancy test and stuff with her to get rid of it so I didn't have to worry about anyone finding it. I cleaned myself up and changed clothes. I finished getting ready just in time when I heard my mom let Jason in the front door. I hurried up and looked in the mirror to make sure I looked okay. “Emily baby Jason is here!” Mom yelled up the steps. “Okay mom im coming.” I responded grabbing my purse and looking around my room. I walked down the steps and right into Jason's arms. “See ya later Mom.” I said walking out the front door with Jason. “Not too late sweetie” she said closing the door behind us. We climbed into his car and he leaned over and kissed me. “Well what do you wanna do tonight?” he asked. I was confused. “I thought we agreed on dinner and a movie?” I asked. “Yea I know I just thought maybe you would want to do something else for a change?” he replied. I nodded. “Yeah can we just go somewhere and talk?” “Yeah sure, where do you wanna go?” I thought about it for a minute. “The beach?” I asked. “Okay, the beach it is.” he finished as we drove away.

As he drove I tried to decide or figure out how I was supposed to tell Jason that we were going to be parents. How do you tell your seventeen year old boyfriend he is going to be a daddy, or that his sixteen year old girlfriend is gonna be a mommy. I had no clue what to do. I had no clue how to tell him. How could I tell him?