Chapter Eleven: Dreams

I was floating above the water, my feet skimming the soft waves and the wind lifting my hair off of my shoulders. I didn't know where I was, or where I was going.

The water was calm at first, but as my journey continued the water was becoming more rough and now my entire ankles were submerged into the water. The water was pulling me down, deeper and deeper. Then I saw two hands thrust through the water towards me. I stretched as far as I could to grab the hands and I was pulled up. I saw Eska, smiling at me as she held my hands after she pulled me up. But then, the water started dragging her down and I lost grip on her. I dove into the rough waters and saw her sinking like a stone. I reached towards her and grabbed her hands, but as soon as I touched her, she was gone. I looked around and saw her swimming towards the surface. I started swimming towards her and eventually broke to the surface. But she was game again.

"Eska?" I called, "Eska?"
************************************
"Jaya! Jaya wake up!" I heard Marcus call.

"What?!" I said terrified of the dream I just had.

"Are you ok? You were thrashing around." Marcus asked.

"Um, just a nightmare."

"Oh alright. Anyway, it's a bit early but we can get an early move on if you would like." He said.

"Ok, let's go check out and get some breakfast."

I put my backpack on and grabbed Marcus before walking out of the room.

"I had the strangest nightmare last night." I told Marcus as we were nearing the front desk.

The same woman who was there last night was standing at the front desk.

She must've overheard me because she started talking (I guess her non-verbal jinx had worn off), "Oh don't worry, dear, that's normal. We are called the Dream Boat Inn after all. Strange dreams are what we are known for! It's all part of the experience."

"Oh, that explains so much!" Marcus explained, "I had a dream that this family grew watermelons and one day one of their watermelons was sitting in their son's chair. The son was so angry as he thought he had been replaced! The watermelon was slowly taking over... He found that watermelon in his bed, in his drawers, even wearing some of his clothes! The son was so mad he moved out and declared war on all watermelons and that created the "the War of the Melons". Many people and melons lost their lives in this war, but eventually a truce was made and the watermelons and humans lived peacefully together."

The lady at the front desk and I both had our mouths fall open.

"Um, yes, I see you definitely got the experience of the Dream Boat Inn."

Marcus nodded enthusiastically.

"Anyway, we would like to check out please." I said, not believing Marcus had such a strange dream.

"That will be 36 Blulettes, please."

"36?!" Marcus exclaimed, "That's a bit pricy,don't you think?!"

"No, no." She said, her hand stretched out wanting the Blulettes.

"Fine." Marcus said sighing as he passed me some Blulettes through the mirror.

"Here you go, thank you." I said passing the coins to her.

"Have a nice day." She said as we walked out of the door.

The sun was just now rising and the town was very quiet.

"Shall we go to Three Turtles and a Bullfrog for breakfast?" Marcus asked me.

"Ok, let's go." I said as I walked towards the restaurant.

We were the only people in the restaurant and we were served very quickly. We both got pancakes with sausage and bacon. My stomach growled as I dug into my food before remembering to feed Marcus.

"Sorry." I said through a mouthful of pancake as I pushed his plate and his Fluttering Fizzer through the glass.

He ate his food as eagerly as I had a we were finished pretty quickly. We paid and then started the journey towards Stonewall. Marcus said Stonewall was an island and we would have to get through another portal to reach it. He didn't think we would be able to reach the kingdom before the Aari, but maybe we could prevent them from getting through the walls if we got there as quickly as they did.
**********************************
After hours of walking, we finally took a break. My feet were sore and covered in blisters. We were in the middle of nowhere, all that surrounded us was grass and weeds.

"We need to walk for about two more hours and then we will be able to reach the portal." Marcus said.

I moaned. I was so tired! "Alright, just a few minute break though." I replied rubbing my sore feet.

I took a swig from my water bottle and I was going to eat my last granola bar, but I decided to save it. After sitting for about ten minutes I stood up and started walking again. Our journey was mostly quiet, but there was a few random comments from Marcus. Nothing important, though.

Pretty soon, the sun started setting and it got dark.

"Can we please settle down for the night?" I asked Marcus.

"I guess so. We only have about half a mile left before we reach the portal so we should be able to get there in the morning."

"Ok, good." I said polishing off the remainder of the trail mix I had. Then I realized Marcus didn't have anything to eat. "Marcus, I'm so sorry did you want some trail mix?!"

"Oh no it's ok, us mirrors don't need much to eat." He chuckled.

"Oh alright." I said.

I grabbed my dagger from my backpack and clutched it tightly in my hand. I put my backpack down and used it as a pillow.

"Goodnight, Marcus." I said, sleepily.

"Goodnight, Jaya." He replied quietly.