Escort Duty

Escort Duty

Flustered and embarrassed, I got up so quickly that I knocked down my chair. If some people weren't paying attention to us before, I had their attention now, but it didn't matter to me as much as what the principal would do to me if he found out. Principal Hart was not known for kindness or being an understanding principal. In fact he ripped the 'pal' right out of principal and tore it apart. How could I have forgotten something so important? This wouldn't look good on my report.

As if noticing my rattled state, Xander said in that soothing, honey-sweet voice of his that made my senses and back tingle, "Don't worry; I haven't told the principal about it."

I started smiling appreciatively, thinking that maybe he wasn't so bad after all, but then immediately changed my mind one-hundred and eighty degrees when he uttered the word, "Yet."

My smile fell. I took in the taunting smirk that slowly formed on his face and that strange emotion in his eyes that I couldn't quite decipher, something akin to amusement. I bristled with anger. Was he threatening me?

Before I could voice my heated thoughts, he said, "I had Britney show me to my first classes instead."

I winced at the name.

From behind him, Britney Leonard, this school's number one bitch, captain cheerleader and my worst enemy appeared with that same cunning smile she always wore, that same smile that fooled people into thinking she was nice and sweet when she was anything but. She was a despicable being bent on turning her rivals and opposer's lives into living hells so she could feel better about her own. It was ironic how the captain cheerleader brought only despair and distress into the hearts of those she deemed unfit to be part of her 'clique' or not near her social status. Since day one, she and I had been at each other's throats for a reason now lost to me.

"Why, hello Carly." I resisted the overpowering urge to shudder at the sound of her hideous, overly sweet, high-pitched voice and plastered on a smile we both knew was as fake as her nails and hair instead. I didn't bother replying, knowing full well any act of courtesy and friendship was pointless since she was probably already thinking up insults about my clothes, hair, shoes etcetera to faze and hurt me, not that I cared what she thought of me and my attire.

I watched as she laid a manicured hand on Xander's shoulder and leaned toward him, putting little distance between them, as if hinting to me she was claiming the new boy as her new boy toy. Xander didn't seem to mind her action. Deep inside at the pit of my stomach, something stirred and raged as a bizarre emotion rapidly consumed me, filling me with a sense of anger, hatred and betrayal. Why I felt betrayed was beyond me.

"You can go now. I can take him to the rest of his classes and around the school; it's my job." I mentally slapped myself at the possessive note in my voice and the obvious contempt I displayed toward Britney. It was so childish of me, and so strange.

Britney's façade fell. "Why don't you let me continue? It's clear you're unfit anyway. I'm sure Mr. Hart wouldn't mind. Be glad, I'm doing you a favor." She spat venomously, glaring at me. Funny how little it took to ruffle her feathers.

Frankly, I was dumbfounded by the malice she projected toward me.

Xander said, "It's alright, Britney. Carly can show me around." And then he simply strolled away, expression neutral, hands in his jacket's pockets, and said while still in audible range, "I'll be waiting by your locker. I've got Art after this."

I was stunned, eyes wide and mouth slightly gaping, and I wasn't the only one. Everyone in the cafeteria had been tuned in to our conversation, so they must've heard Xander turn down Britney's offer for me. But he he did, for which I was secretly deeply grateful. The look on Shitney's face was priceless.