Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The next day, I woke up bright and early. I actually hated waking up early but no matter how late I slept at night, I would never be able to oversleep. I unpacked my bags, arranged my clothes in the closet, and organized my makeup and accessories. By the time I was done, it was 9:30am.

I showered, changed into a long-sleeved t-shirt and jeans, and then went downstairs. Aunt Joy was in the kitchen, cooking eggs and setting the table. "Good morning," I said.

"Good morning! Did you sleep well?" she asked.

"Yes. Thanks."

"Would you do me a favor and wake up Calum? That boy is always asleep until noon."

"Sure," I said, an evil smirk making its way onto my face.

I walked upstairs into the room that was next to mine and, sure enough, Cal was cuddled into his blanket, snoring away. I decided to have some fun with this. I grabbed his alarm clock from off of his side table and set it to ring after one minute. I stuffed the clock under Calum's pillow and stood aside, waiting for the action to begin.

A minute later, the alarm buzzed and as it did, Calum immediately shot his head up while yelling, trying to find the source of the noise. He flailed his arms around and while doing so, he fell off the bed and landed on the ground face first. I was literally rolling on the floor laughing.

Once he got himself off the ground and shut the alarm, he stood in front of me, arms crossed, and glared at me. "All right. Laugh it up. I'll get you back."

"Ooh, I'm so scared," I said, in between fits of laughter. His messy bed-head made this whole situation all the more amusing. "Dude, you had to see your face. It was priceless. You were like-" and then I imitated his demeanor while trying to stop laughing. He tried shoving me out of his room since I couldn't control myself. "All right. All right. I'm going," I said seriously, while trying to catch my breath.

When I got back downstairs, Aunt Joy had her head in the fridge, in search of something. "Hey Cam. I know you're probably not in the mood for this, but could you drive down to the market and pick up some milk?"

"Sure," I said. "I don't mind." She gave me the directions and then I set off. I decided to walk though because I needed the fresh air. Plus, my hair was still drying from when I took a shower earlier. I took out my phone and stuffed my earphones in, drowning myself into the music.

While walking, I observed my surroundings. Everything was so different in California compared to my life in Maine. In Maine, I lived in such a small town that it wasn't even on the map. There wasn't much there, just an endless sea of roads. In California though, there were mountains, hills, beaches, and oceans. Basically everyone had a tan or had blonde hair. Girls were stick-thin and didn't wear much either. Whatever they did wear was designer. Spoiled rich kids (stereotypical, I know, but this was exactly what I saw).

I got to the market and grabbed two jugs of milk. It was much more expensive than I thought it would be. Anyway, I went to the checkout line, paid, and made my way out.

The song "Feel So Close" by Calvin Harris started playing. I hated this song but was too lazy to ever delete it from my phone. I was in the mood for something more upbeat but instead of choosing a song, I just kept pressing shuffle until I came to something I liked. I guess I was too consumed in my phone that I bumped into someone which caused me to drop my bag of milk and fall to the floor along with the person I bumped into. "Watch it!" the guy yelled in an Australian accent.

"Sorry," I mumbled then grabbed my bag and got on my feet. When I looked up, I saw Luke looking back at me. Or at least I think he was looking at me. He had his shades on again. I never knew he had an accent though. I guess I didn't notice it last night since I barely had the chance to hear him speak. "Oh. Hey Luke," I said with a small smile. I didn't want to be rude to him even though he seemed to hate me.

He didn't return my greeting. His jaw looked tense. I took in his appearance. He had on a Nirvana shirt with a flannel on top. His blonde hair which was quiffed yesterday was disheveled today as if he had just woken up. His cheeks were rosy red, and his face held traces of stubble. His ring stood out, hanging off of his plump pink lips. He stood there (might I say, rather tall and intimidatingly. This skyscraper was almost a foot taller than me), tapping his feet and sighing impatiently. I think he noticed that I was gaping at him for far too long.

"Um. How are you?" I asked chirpily.

"What do you care?" he spat. I was going to yell at him because he was acting like a brat, but I held back, not looking forward to dying anytime soon. "Can you move now? You're in my way," he raised his eyebrows.

"Right, sure," I said, my tone deflated. I moved, and he walked away, acting like he had nothing to do with me. Well that didn't go so well...

I got back home, put the milk away, and then sat down for breakfast with Aunt Joy and Calum. "What took you so long?" asked Calum. "Mom wouldn't let me eat until you came home," he whined then started stuffing eggs into his mouth like his tongue was a conveyor belt.

"Sorry. I met your friend Luke on my way back and...yeah," I said, not wanting to elaborate. Calum acted like an overprotective brother. I didn't want him to yell at Luke for no reason. Maybe he was just having a bad day. Again.

"Did he do something to you?" asked Calum, putting down his fork. "'Cause I can beat him up for you if you want."

"No. It was nothing," I lied. "He was fine."

"Okay," he went back to stuffing his face. "But my offer's always open. And that goes for any of my friends who hurt you."

I bit my lip. "Right. Thanks," I slouched into my seat while starting to eat.