Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Aunt Joy directed me to my room while I lugged my bags around. The room was large with a queen-sized bed. The walls were painted a deep blue with black and white furniture and decorations like a lamp, sheer curtains, and empty picture frames. I loved it! "This looks amazing!" I gasped.

"Thanks. I got it all ready and decorated before you came. I always wanted to be an interior designer, you know?"

"Well, you did a great job," I applauded her. She then left the room so I could hurry up and get changed. I rummaged through my bags until I came up with a decent outfit: a plain black tank top with a light, long-sleeved undershirt, skinny jeans, and flip flops along with my aviator sunglasses. I added some light makeup, left my mid-length dirty blonde hair to flow in the breeze, and finished just in time to hear Calum bang on my door.

He furrowed his eyebrows when he saw me. "Is that what you're wearing then?"

"Uh. Yeah," I stammered.

He went next door to where I'm assuming his room was and came back with a camo hoodie. "It gets cold in the evening. You're gonna need this," he tossed me the hoodie. And obviously I wouldn't know that because I haven't exactly been to the beach before in my defense...

We said our goodbyes to Aunt Joy then headed off. I tended towards the car when Calum said, "The beach is only five minutes away. We can walk." 

We silently strode, the only sound heard being our shoes smacking against the ground, until I broke the silence. "Soooo how have you been?" I tried to break the ice.

"Great!" he replied with a smile. We continued chatting casually until we reached the beach, and it was beautiful. The endless ocean water was a gorgeous shade of blue and heavenly sparkled underneath the sunlight. I made sure to take pictures with my phone in order to capture its beauty, but the photo didn't do justice to the real-life image standing before me.

"Calum!" I heard people shout from a distance. He dragged me by the arm and led me toward his friends. I wasn't looking forward to meeting them simply because first meetings with people were almost always uncomfortable.

Calum hauled me all the way across the beach where all six of his friends greeted him while I kept my distance and stood behind him. That is, until Calum shoved me in front of him and announced, "Guys, this is my cousin Cambryn!"

I gave a small wave. Everyone merrily welcomed me.

A boy with light brown hair, hazel eyes, and a red bandana around his head smiled and introduced everyone. "I'm Ashton, Calum's best and most awesome friend. Please tell me you're not as much of a dork as he is." Calum punched him in the gut, which led Ashton to let out a groan followed by a laugh.

"Can't make any promises," I smiled.

"This," he pointed to a girl with white-blonde hair, "is Gemma, my girlfriend. And the girl with the attitude next to her is Lyn," he said, referring to the girl with brunette hair tinged in red.

"Shut it, Irwin," she glared at him with her grey-hued eyes. She then looked at me and smiled sweetly.

"Just speaking the truth. No need to use my last name against me," Ashton squeaked. "She's also my step-sister," he stated. "Moving on. This is Michael and next to him is Luke," he pointed. Michael had neon green hair. He'd be pretty hard to miss in a crowd full of people. Luke was blond and had a tan. He wore shades and a shiny ring hung off of his lip.