Through the Mountains by niv1801

I sat on the side, every one was dancing. I felt a pair of arms wrap around me, "Do you care to dance with me Mia?" Dan whispered into my ear.

"I don't feel like dancing" I frowned. 

"Why, whats wrong?" He sat down next to me. 

"The world" I stated. 

"Whats wrong with the world?" He asked confused, "Is it going to end or something?" 

I chuckled and slapped his head, "No idiot. Its not the world, its my parents, they've been fighting non stop, and now they are planning on getting a divorce. Dad is planning to move to India after that so he can expand his company over there"

Dan wrapped his arms around me and kissed my head, "So what are you going to do?" I shook my head, "I don't know" I rested my head on his shoulder. I sighed, "I remember how my dad used to take me on a piggy back ride when I was younger. Mum used to run behind us, trying to catch us. And after the game would end my dad would put me down and give mum a long kiss, look her in the eye and say 'I love you' with all his heart. We used to be such a happy family, and now its all going away"

Dan wiped away the tear that was rolling down my face, "So what are you going to do?" he asked again. "Run away" I said sincerely. "Okay" he said, "The day after we graduation we'll run away, we'll tale a road trip to the mountains, and after a few days drive down to D.C, find a job and start a new life."

I smiled and held out my pinky.

"Pinky Promise?"

"Pinky Promise."

***

Graduation came faster than I thought it would. I passed in flying colors and couldn't wait to hit the road.

The next day while I was packing my bag I got a call from Dan. "Hey Dan! I was just about to call you!" I said. "Mia, its Mrs Storm" Dans mothers voice came through. "Hey Mrs Storm, is Dan there, I really need to talk to him" I asked hopefully, but I had a feeling that there was something wrong. "I'm sorry Mia, Dan was just heading to your house and he got into an accident. He is in surgery, the doctors don't know if he's going to live"

My phone dropped to the ground. I grabbed my jacket and car keys and raced to the hospital. I came to the front desk and there was a nurse sitting with makeup caked to her face, filing her nails, and was on the phone gossiping about celebrities. I banged the table and tried to catch her attention, she didn't move an inch. I leaned forward and grabbed the phone out of her hand. "Didn't you see that I was on the phone!?" she screamed at me. I was on the verge of slapping her. "Well, the you should know that my best friend is dying!" I screamed at her. "Tell me where the room of Daniel Storm is!" I screamed again. She grumbled some thing about stupid people at the hospital and searched for witch room Dan was in on her computer.

"He is in room 408 on the fourth floor", she told me and I ran. I took the stairs because i had experience with hospital elevators and I knew the went really slow. I reached the fourth floor and ran even faster. Mrs Storm was sitting on a chair sobbing, her hair was frizzy, her clothes were crumpled, her make up was slowly dripping down her face, and there was tears, the only emotion she was showing was fear and sadness. In here head there must have been much more. I remember when Gran died. Mum kept blaming her self for it, she kept saying that she should have not left Gran alone at home, she should have driven her faster to the hospital, she should have been a better daughter. I couldn't even picture what must have been going through Mrs Storm's head. I put a hand on her knee, "Mrs Storm, what happened?" I said softly. She slowly got up and pulled me into a hug and started sobbing even harder.