Unpredictable Bells

Unpredictable Bells – A Short Story by Alyssa Paola

The loud ringing of a church bell sounded merrily through the air. How wonderful... Doesn't that mean an angel just got their wings; if so, congratulations. Does that also mean a couple eloped; if so, congratulations once more.

I watched the outside world silently from my old, dusty attic. The open window sent a soft breeze tickling my skin, while dust also became unsettled and floated about the dimly lit room. The cold wind caused me to shiver slightly in my thin layer of clothing. Slowly, I reached out and touched the white painted window sill; the paint had begun chipping long ago. I watched, silent and unmoving, as the evening sky grew darker and darker each passing moment.

A haunting melody floated up the worn-out attic stairs, and I sighed at the beautiful sound. Master must be playing his cello once more tonight. Is he putting the townspeople to sleep? I long to sleep and wake as they do; I long for a real bed that is not covered in graveyard dirt. What a pitiful existence it is, to never see the sun and to never eat solid food; to never truly be capable of dying.

Now that I begin to think of it, I met Master on a night the church bells rang, did I not? The beautiful sound had caused many to sway, but I had not. The sound had felt more enchanting rather than enough to put me to sleep. Master had found the ringing enchanting as well. I remember his expression well, the moment before our eyes met. His face appeared peaceful before he looked to me, and he had stood with his face to the sky, his eyes closed. He seemed to be soaking in the moonlight, as his pearl white skin had shone brightly that night. Although he appeared reserved, he held a small smile upon his face as he stood in an elegant black suit, white tie, and a small red rose pinned to his breast pocket. His long, black hair had been slicked back and he had stood out quite well, looking both dangerous yet beautiful. Master was stunning.

As if he had felt my gaze, he opened his eyes slowly and turned to face me. His crimson gaze pierced mine the moment his eyes found mine, and I had almost felt the gears in his mind turning rapidly to process what he was seeing. Even back then, Master had felt drawn to me. He had immediately taken me, and not a single soul noticed my absence. It was as if I had not existed in the first place. In the beginning, it was truly frightening. I had felt solemn and kept myself hidden from the world, and to this very day I still do. I do not wish to be what I am today. Although, I do understand; sometimes, moments like that happen, and they are truly life changing. It's completely unpredictable, but that is sometimes how life is. It is completely unpredictable.