Chapter 11: The Beast's Tale

Three weeks flew by rapidly. The servants worked daily on cleaning up the castle, at Beast's order, and Beast and I worked on his reading daily. It had been a long time since he had last read. He was a fast learner, but he was also much more stubborn than either of my sisters had been. We argued occasionally, but I was no longer afraid of him. He was about as dangerous as a kitten. Sometimes we would take breaks, and he would show me around, or we would go to the stables and see Sable, who was living a life of luxury; the only horse in the very rich stable. Some days we even played outside in the snow like little children, because it was always snowing at the castle. This intervals were always short, though, because it was also always freezing outside.

Soon, it was the one month anniversary of my arrival, and I felt like I'd lived there my whole life. And, in all honesty, I was happy.

But, the more the days went on, the more precarious life was in the castle. As Beast and I ate, floating objects crowded the room, as though the site of us eating was a spectacle. I was befuddled; to me, this had become an everyday occurrence. It wasn't as though today had been one of Beast's bad days. In fact, for the last week Beast hadn't been having as many problems with controlling his "animal" side. When I was finished, I excused myself back to my room. It was the one place where I knew my invisible observers wouldn't and couldn't follow.

I had been alone for nearly an hour when there came a knock upon the door. I knew it was Beast from the sound; not metal or wood on wood, but of flesh and bone. Laying down my book, and rising from the side of my bed, I granted him entry, and took a seat in my desk chair. Beast came in.

"Belle, I must request your presence downstairs in the sitting room. I- I have something to tell you." He said nervously.

"But we have more privacy here. I've felt like I was on parade all day downstairs." I said. Realizing that I might sound pushy, I blushed, and quickly tried to cover my complaint. "I just-

"No, Belle. You are right," Beast interrupted. "And that is my fault. But for the rest of the day, the only presence that will accompany you is mine... If you would like, that is."

I was shocked. In the month I had been in the castle, Beast had never been so polite. Standing, I smiled and said, "Then, let us descend."

Beast reached over and gently took my hand in his paw. I flinched unintentionally, for I was not used to being touched by him.

"Don't be scared of me Belle," he said. "I promise you that, although I may get mad, I will never hurt you." He tried to smile encouragingly, but his mouthful of razor sharp fangs created such a contrast that it was all I could do not to laugh.

When we made it downstairs to the sitting room, Beast released my hand. I took a seat as he pulled the doors shut giving us the privacy that I had been deprived of all day. He then took a seat in his armchair. It was the only chair in the room that could support his massive, muscular bulk. After a few minutes of silence, he spoke.

"Belle, would you like to hear a story?" he asked.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Is it a fairytale?"

With a smirk that quickly faded, he said, "Yes, but it doesn't have a happy ending."

"Alright..." I said, now intrigued.

And so he began.

"Once there was an extremely handsome, albeit extremely young prince. His parents had given him all he could dream of. He was an only child, heir to the throne, and engaged to a lovely princess in a neighboring land. He had riches, fine clothes, and servants that were at his beck and call. He bullied and tormented them with no discretion. But none of this compared to his arrogance. This was the cause for his constant irritation with the world. Nothing was as good as him, and therefore, everything and everyone was unworthy and worthless. And so, his parents gave into his every whim in a feeble attempt to please him. And yet, he was still not happy. He threw tantrums, demanding more.