Chapter 3: A Trip to Town

Somehow, that night, no one in my family could tell that anything was bothering me. I went to bed early, and the next morning, I got up, did my chores, and then grabbed my cloak. It was the nicest thing I owned. Father bought it for me, saying that it brought out the green in my eyes. As I snuck out the door, I heard someone softly say my name.

"Arabella?"

I turned around. Petronille had just walked in, her chores apparently finished.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"To town. I need to pick up a few things..." I said, glancing down at the floor as my voice trailed off. I didn't really feel like talking. My troubles might spill out, and I hated to be a burden.

"Do you mind if I come?" she asked hesitantly. I guess someone had picked up on my quietness. "I promise I'll stay out of your way. I'd like to go see some friends."

Sometimes I forgot that Petronille did still attend schooling in the village when the youth weren't needed for planting and harvesting. It was early summer now, and she hadn't been to town in quite some time.

"Sure Pet. And that way you can help me carry stuff home. We can walk, rather than taking Sable." I smiled to encourage her. Her face lit up like the sun.

"That sounds perfect! I'll get my cloak!" she said, as she ran up the stairs, only to return quickly to the doorway, cloak on and basket in hand.

And so, we set off for town. As we walked, neither of us said anything. I tried to avoid even looking at my sister by staring off into the woods. I was afraid that my face would show too much of my pent up emotions.

As we neared the bridge that led directly into town, Petronille finally spoke.

"Arabella, are you alright? It's not like you to be so... stony."

I smiled. She knew me well. "I'm fine, Pet. Just tired and a little stressed."

She looked at me, brow wrinkled. "Is it because of Mr. Faure?" My head snapped to stare at her, eyes huge. Had she seen...? "He seems to be coming by the house a lot, is all," she finished quickly, clearly noticing my distress.

"It does, in part, Pet. Don't worry about it, though." We were getting into town by then. I had no intention of talking about it here, where anyone could hear. "Meet me at Mr. Allemande's bookshop in two hours?"

Her face lit up in a huge smile. "Thank you again for bringing me with you!" She hugged me, and ran off in the direction of one of her friend's houses.

I walked to the baker's and bought two loaves of bread and a sweet roll as a surprise for Petronille. Then I went to buy a new brush for Sable. Lastly, I went to see Rixenda. I needed a spool of thread so that I could fix a tear in one of my pairs of pants. She ran her seamstress shop out of her father's bookstore, so I headed back there. I rang the bell, and heard her call entry.

I wandered around inside until she came out of the back.

"Arabella! Come on back darling. FATHER! I'm not here if anyone else shows up!" she called.

Suddenly, we heard the bell chime behind us. The customer didn't wait for anyone to call entry. The door opened, and I heard heavy boots clomp across the wooden floor behind me.

"Why, hello, Miss Allemonde. Arabella, didn't you hear me call you outside?" came a deep gravelly voice, which I didn't feel like hearing.

I turned to face him. "In all honesty, Mr. Faure, I did not hear you. I was in a hurry, because Rixenda is supposed to be fitting me for a new dress, and my little sister is supposed to meet me here to go home in less than an hour. So, you must forgive me, but I do not have time to talk." My voice dripped venom. Especially not to you my brain screamed.