Chapter 23

"Kill him," said Erimandras.

Natalia's sword rasped from its scabbard. She rounded the pit to confront Merc, only to be stopped in her path by an invisible wall of force.

"Natalia, you've done well against me before," said Merc. "Now you'll be well done."

The invisible wall expanded and slammed Natalia into the fire pit. She disappeared into the ebony flames without uttering a sound.

"You're the Overmaster?" said Mercury, getting his first good look at Erimandras. "Shouldn't you be home sucking your thumb?"

Erimandras stood. His height was unimpressive, but he did have the theatrics down cold. He raised the wand. "Fool! I was an arcane master at the age of five, a grandmaster at seven! I slew the previous Overmaster in my eighth year. I began constructing the Mirror of Asmodraxas in my ninth. You are but a mewling babe before my awesome power and intellect!"

Crimson lightning arced from the faux Superwand to trace a crackling web in the air around Merc. He crumpled to the floor, his body shaking as if in the grip of an epileptic seizure.

So much for the big dramatic rescue.

I resumed struggling against my bonds and detected some unexpected slack in the conveyer belt. Rocking side to side forcefully, I succeeded in knocking the wide leather belt off track. It jammed in the rollers and the Perilous Pulp-Grinder ground to a shuddering halt. I found myself hanging upside down off the side of the machine, my head resting uncomfortably on the floor. Not an ideal position, but preferable to being pulverized.

Merc rose slowly to his knees, and then to his feet. His legs trembled like those of a newborn foal. Involuntary tics and twitches danced across his face. His beard smoldered. His left ear appeared to be on fire. Undaunted by these unpleasantries, he aimed a stiffened right hand at Erimandras. A sheet of golden flame spread from his fingers and shot across the room.

The attack fizzled short of the Overmaster's throne, blocked by protective magic. Erimandras scoffed, flicked the wand, and shot another bolt of crimson lighting at Merc. Crackling bands of eldritch energy clung to Mercury like a funeral wreath. Yet he gritted his teeth, clenched his fists, and did not fall.

I twisted my body until the strap around my chest caught on a projected strut. Using its leverage, I squirmed my arms and shoulders free. With use of my hands restored, I unbuckled the other straps and rolled to the floor. My legs felt about as solid as watery porridge. The Awful Agony Matrix had taken a terrible toll on my body. Even drawing breath was painful. I felt too weak to stand.

"Cosmo has freed himself," said Asmodraxas. "Stop him."

"As you command."

Erimandras pointed the replica Superwand at me. Suddenly much more motivated to move, I rolled beneath the grinder apparatus and scooted out on the other side as a bolt of red lightning scorched the floor behind me. The next shot blasted the Perilous Pulp-Grinder to bits. I found myself on my hands and knees, with no cover in sight.

"Time out?" I said.

Merc used this diversion to reach out with his mind and snatch the faux Superwand from the Overmaster's grasp. No protective spell countered that tactic. The weapon flew to my partner's hand.

"Have a taste of your own medicine, brat!"

Merc pointed the wand at the sinister youth. Nothing happened.

"Only I control the wand," said Erimandras.

"It was worth a try," said Merc. "I've had enough of this thing anyway." He bent the wand in two over his knee and flipped it into the fire pit.