Chapter 17

Gretchen would swear she could feel every single atom in her skin where it touched Matt's hand as he led her into his hotel room. Even an hour ago she wouldn't have allowed herself to do what she was about to, but something inside her started screaming, refusing to deny herself any longer. She was going to stop living scared, as if disaster lurked around every corner. Instead, she was going to grasp every single iota of goodness that came anywhere near her, starting with the sexy man pulling her close.

His lips captured hers, and she couldn't imagine anything in the world feeling better. At least she thought that until a few minutes later when they lay in bed together without a stitch of clothing between them. Matt kissed a trail from her lips to her ear, down her throat and over the swell of her breast. When he captured that breast in his warm, wet mouth, she thought she might catch fire.

For what felt like the first time in her life, she truly let go. After they both reached their climax, she snuggled next to Matt, listening to the beating of his heart as she drifted toward sleep.

# #

The next morning, Gretchen almost couldn't find the strength to leave, afraid that she'd either discover the previous night had been a dream or that it was the only time she'd ever be with Matt in that way. But a new day brought reality, and the reality was she needed to get to work.

Halfway through the morning, Matt arrived at the Primrose and didn't show any signs of leaving. Gretchen couldn't keep a grin from playing at her lips, and Verona Charles, the town matchmaker, noticed.

Verona looked over her shoulder at Matt then back at Gretchen. "You need to reel in that good-looking fish while he's biting."

Taking Verona's advice, she invited Matt to go hiking at a park that overlooked the lake after she got off work. Joy filled her heart when he accepted instead of saying he was on his way out of town.

In fact, he didn't show any signs of leaving Blue Falls over the next couple of days, and they spent all her non-working hours together. Even Marti at the bookstore noticed the change in Gretchen when she popped in on her lunch break to browse.

"It's nice to see you looking so happy," Marti said.

"It's nice to be happy."

"I agree. That's why my sister and I have decided to spend the next year traveling around the world."

Gretchen nearly dropped the book she was holding. "Who's going to run the store?"

"I was hoping you would."

"Me?"

"Yes, I can't think of anyone better suited, and honestly, I'd like to work out some arrangement where you'd eventually become the owner."

Gretchen couldn't have been more shocked if Santa had strolled in wearing a cowboy hat and six-shooters. "I..."

"Think about it. And I won't need the apartment in the back anymore, so that would be included."

Something in Marti's eyes told Gretchen that the older woman knew the truth about where Gretchen spent her nights, but Marti didn't ask questions or appear to pass judgment.

Could she do it? Was it even remotely possible? Her head swam at the very idea.