Chapter 6

Gretchen didn't really expect Matt to be waiting for her when she got off work, especially when a busload of senior citizen tourists descended on the Primrose for a late lunch, causing her to clock out half an hour later than she'd told him.

Still, when she stepped out the front door of the café, she couldn't help the wave of disappointment when she didn't see him. And damned if it didn't remind her of the day she'd come home to find Adam, her ex-boyfriend, gone right along with all her money. Thinking this was just fate's way of helping her dodge another romantic bullet, she headed toward her car. But she nearly tripped over her own feet when she spotted Matt sitting on his opened tailgate where he'd parked on the side street.

Hoping she didn't look as flustered as she felt, she walked toward him.

"I thought you'd skipped out on me," he said as he slipped off the tailgate.

"No, just had to feed some hungry grannies."

"You've been on your feet all day, so if you don't feel like walking around, that's okay."

"I'm fine." Actually, her feet did ache, but she didn't want to pass up the opportunity to spend time with Matt. She could think of worse ways to pass an afternoon. "Though I don't know what I can really tell you."

He leaned toward her. "Maybe I just wanted to spend more time with you."

Suspecting her cheeks were doing their impression of a roaring fire again, she turned and gestured down the sidewalk. When she tried to find the words to transition from what he'd just said to playing tour guide, she came up empty. But with a little chuckle, Matt saved her when he stepped beside her and started walking down the street.