CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE - STUPEFY!

Noelle's head was spinning

Noelle's head was spinning. "I - okay?" she stuttered, "I'll go there, I'll do everything you said — but what about mum?"

Spencer's face took on a stony expression and he gripped something behind his back. "She's at the hospital, right? She'll be safe there, don't worry." His eyes snapped up.

Noelle's eyes widened in alarm. "But—"

"I'll take the parcel and everything else to your house as well."

"That wasn't what I what I was going to—"

"Now, go!" Spencer was trying to push Noelle out of the door, a note of urgency in his voice. "Go quickly before it's too—"

Noelle paused abruptly at the counter, forcing Spencer to stop. "What — what happened to Amira?" The woman was slouched over the counter, looking pale and limp with something Noelle could only guess was a stick lying a few inches away from her hand. Noelle stared, stunned at the image before her.

Spencer paled. "No, no no no no. They're already here. I need to get you out — now."

He dragged Noelle out of the shop towards the pathway, her arm held in a vice-like grip that, had it it been any other time, Noelle would fight her way out of complaining about how it hurt. But right now Noelle was just confused, and scared, and she wanted Spencer to let speak and answer her questions, damn it!

Upon approaching the entrance with its twisting branches and leafy floor Noelle wanted to protest loudly, but stopped when she heard a voice coming from behind them. It was low and sounded old in a way that wasn't weak, setting a chill that ran up and down her spine.

"Where do you think you're going?"

Noelle felt a hard push. "Run! Don't look back, just go!"

Noelle ran.

As fast as her legs could take her she ran into the darkness ahead, hearing the words "Stupefy!" from whatever was frightening Spencer.

***

Noelle's heart was hammering loudly in her chest as leaves and branches smacked relentlessly into her face. Every breath burnt her throat but she couldn't stop the sharp suck of air into her lungs. The beaten-down path was no longer as clear as before, but it was as if her body knew where she was going before she did.

Just like in the dream.

Noelle hastily discarded the thought as she noticed a clearing ahead, and the sound of water rushing in and out, crashing loudly against something before retreating. The trees blurred and became one big brown fiery swirl, creating the illusion of a forest on fire.

Just like in the dream.

Noelle didn't want to take a step further. If this was what Noelle thought it was, she knew what was going to happen to her and she didn't want to do it. She didn't want to jump. Noelle suddenly stopped running as the realisation hit her, and she crouched trying to catch her breath. Why did she come here? Why did she listen to Spencer? What the hell was going on? Noelle desperately wanted to turn back and demand answers, but her muscles locked in place in reminder of her promise to Spencer that she wouldn't look back. But she didn't want to go any further, either. What would happen if she did? She was scared of walking ahead, scared for Spencer and Amira and – oh God, her mum. Her mother had no idea what was going on — she was safe at the hospital, Spencer said, but safe from what? What was that thing? Why had they said a spell from Harry Potter — as if it were real? It couldn't be, could it?

Noelle scanned her surroundings with apprehensive eyes. The forest was quiet, save for her harsh pants, but it seemed to ring with the answers she was demanding just seconds before.

Noelle knew. A voice niggling at the back of her mind hummed in affirmation, her heart sang with the truth that it was as real as anything — but her brain screamed at her that it couldn't be possible; it was just a book series!

"That's what you think," said the voice again, dragging Noelle out of her thoughts, "but how do you know for sure?"

Noelle ran again.

[Written: 03/05/17]
[Edited: 14/05/20]