TWENTY-ONE

1. How is Max able to heal?

2. Why did Sean's dad beat up Max?

3. What REALLY happened to mom? Why was she sick? How did Max know about it?

4. Why is Sean so interested in me?

5. WHY DID I KISS SEAN?!!!

6. Why are Max and Sean no longer friends?

7. How did Max make us disappear - turn INVISIBLE?

8. Why was Max's dad so horrible? Too scary to be a doctor!

9. Why did Max go to the hospital to learn from his father?

I sighed, scrunched up the paper with my notes of 'One Million Questions' and threw the ball of paper into the paper bin.

A second later, I had retrieved it from its disposal, walked into the kitchen, switched on the garbage disposer and used a wooden spoon to push the ball of paper towards a macerated destiny.

You could never be too careful with information...

I had decided to reclaim the control of my life. I was done being played as a confused and emotional victim. Apparently, Max had been serious when he had told me goodbye five days ago. He had not even been at school since that night.

But if Max didn't want to give me the answers, I would take matters into my own hands and find the answers.

Yes, I knew that Max had told me to stay away. That it was too dangerous. But I really didn't care what happened to me any longer.

My throat clenched and I corrected my inner monologue. That wasn't entirely true. I cared that it would hurt my dad if something were to happen to me. I didn't want to cause him any more pain than he was already living through.

But some detective work would surely help to distract me from my grief and divert me from reflecting on where Max was.

*****

"Hey, Alex," I said when my friend answered my phone call.

"Lizzie," he announced, the happiness in his voice hitting me with instant guilt over being basically absent from his life these last couple of weeks.

And to make matters worse; I was only calling him today for a favor.

Ever the sweetest guy ever, Alex added with concern, "How're you holding up?"

"Eh," I replied vaguely, not wanting to say anything that might make me lose the feeble control over my feelings. Alex had a way of making me feel seen, which usually meant that he could make me feel everything I needed to feel in front of him; make me laugh when I was happy and cry when I was sad.

"Sorry for going MIA on you," I added, wanting to let him know that I was aware of ditching him.

"Don't sweat it, Parker," Alex said softly and my breath caught at the warm concern embedded in the warm nuances of his voice. Highly in tune with the increasing tension of the conversation, due to me trying not to break down and tell him just how miserable life was without a mother, Alex cleared his throat and asked in a lighter tone of voice, "How can I help you?"

I frowned. "How did you know that I needed your help?"

I swear I could hear his smile over the phone. "I've known you for a long time, Lizzie."

His observation made me match his presumed smile before I hastily got my question out, "How do I get a hold of public records?"

He chuckled. "They're public, Lizzie. Shouldn't be a problem finding them."