Ch. 30 (Bridget)

*Bridget*

My eyes remained on that application for a long time. I didn't even watch Chance leave. I just heard his words echo in my head and I stared at the application, dumbstruck.

Earlier that day, Raquel had called another meeting at ten. We were in the conference room, waiting for her to share the news that required a meeting. She walked in five minutes late.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice," she'd started, strutting her way to the front of the room in her stiletto heels and short pencil skirt. The outfit showed off her legs, and I was jealous of their perfection.

I was bored already. I didn't know why we were here, and I didn't care. Work had turned into a place of torture, thanks to the cruel words from my boss. In fact, her words had driven me to an almost depression. I wasn't much fun to be around.

"I have some news from the higher-ups," Raquel had informed us, looking each of us in the eye. "The creative director of Brimwell Publishing, the one who designs our publications, was fired yesterday."

Everyone glanced around in surprise, while I just stifled a yawn and gazed ahead. This news didn't affect me, so I was only paying half attention. The other half was wondering what kinds of drinks they had in the vending machine down the hallway.

Raquel started pacing, probably hoping the movement would add dramatic effect. "The position is open to all employees who are seriously considering this career path. The requirements are a résumé, an interview, and a college degree. You have to fill out the application as well," she explained, setting a stack of applications on the table beside her.

People started to take one and pass it around. Even though at the time I wasn't particularly interested in the position, I still took one. I didn't want to be the only one in that conference room who passed on it.

"Applications are due by Friday," Raquel continued. "Those who apply earlier will be considered more seriously than those who wait until five o' clock Friday."

Some in the room were already starting to fill out the forms. I had just rolled my eyes at them.

"Please only fill this out if you honestly want the job," she advised, giving everyone (but especially me) a pointed look. "All right, that's all I have for you. Any questions?"

"So it's due by Friday at five?" someone asked for clarification.

"Correct," she answered, nodding.

"Are you applying for the position?"

Raquel gave a giggle that might be considered adorable. "It couldn't hurt."

A few minutes of nonsensical conversation passed, until finally, Raquel announced, "Since we've finished the meeting, you may return to your work."

I got up, taking the blank application with me, and headed back to my office. I slammed the form on the edge of my desk, and that was where it rested until Chance came up.

When I had gotten a drink from the vending machine an hour later, Raquel had approached me and handed me a packet entitled, "Business Etiquette." She flashed me a conceited grin, told me, "I thought you could use this," and was gone as quickly as she had shown up.

Because I had finished what I'd needed to, I decided to read the packet. The more I read, the more offended I felt. When Chance had come in, I had been considering filing a complaint towards Raquel.