Potatoes

"Oh, you hear that?" Ceana asked Leora as they were hanging up a new set of tapestries. It was actually more like Ceana standing from aback directing Leora and another servant as they tried to center it on the wall.

"They're back!" Leora said as she hung up one side of intricate work from the top of the ladder.

"Aye, now let's see that so called boar," Ceana laughed from the floor as she used her fingers as guidelines for the right angles.

Leora and Ceana were to the far side of the dining hall when they paused to see the bountiful supply of animal meat that began to flood the entrances of the large room towards the kitchen. They spotted some rabbits and foul and even a few doe. The two were about to turn back to their work in disappointment when a large cart hauling the boar floated through the entrance.

"I can't believe it," Ceana said her expression mirroring her words.

Leora began to smile as she turned back to the tapestry, catching it in her hands before it would have slipped away to the ground.

"Careful now," Ceana cautioned. "Drop the whole thing and we'll have to start all over. Pay attention."

As the servant finished the other side, Leora descended the ladder turning to a puzzled Ceana.

"There's something off," she said.

"About what?" Leora asked.

"Well, if Fionn and Ian caught the boar they would already be inside gloating all about. I know Fionn would to me, but they are nowhere to be seen."

"Maybe 'twas like you said, after they caught it they reached a state of manhood for themselves. Gloating would be beneath that," Leora joked.

"No, no, no, no, no. Something is off," Ceana stated with a frown.

And she was determined to find out what it was.

~*~*~

Ian faced his father's back as they stood in the private parlor.

"Son, 'twas not my intention to embarrass you today, but to understand why I am telling you this," MacAlister said as he looked through the window facing the courtyard with his back to his son. Turning to face him, he went on in a stern voice.

"You know we amuse ourselves and enjoy this sport, but we do not take it lightly. You can't slack off in times when your life is on the line. I take you out because you're old enough and taught well enough to participate in such a sport, but to be unaware of your surroundings is a weakness I cannot forgive you for. It shows me that you are not yet ready for such."

Ian matched his father's eyes as silenced passed between them. Ian was a MacAlister. It was in his blood and he knew damn well not to cower when another man spoke to him. Knowing how to defend his name, he would stand by for his own faults. He had embarrassed his father and family and nearly gotten himself killed for his lack of awareness. There would be consequences to pay.

"You shall not participate in next month's hunt," MacAlister stated.

Ian nodded in agreement but it did not do enough for his father.

"As well as extra training to keen your sense," MacAlister eyed his son for a reaction but received none of what he was looking for.

"Yes, father," Ian said and headed for the door as his father had dismissed him.

MacAlister kept his vision on the trail that Ian took to leave after his son had well gone. He had just disciplined his son and it he couldn't remember the last time such an event went so calmly. This had been the most dangerous of stunts his son had pulled yet Ian had accepted the price he had to pay and walked out, owning up to his mistakes. He wondered when his son had matured so much and if he had turned his back for too long to notice.