Something to Look Forward to

Ceana hadn't realized it, but Leora was right. She had kept her promise. Any questions Leora had, Ceana had answered them, and in return, Leora had answered Ceana's.

The MacAlister girl didn't know what was going on, but she felt like smiling. She had seen other girls in the town and village like this. Friends who did things for each other, they talked with each other and laughed at each other. They cared for each other.

Am I actually taking a liking to Leora? Is this friendship?

This whole concept was new to Ceana and it quite frightened her that she had let herself become so involved with Leora that their relationship might actually have bonds of friendship. She finished plaiting Leora's hair and they both stood up. Leora let her fingers dance lightly upon the complex braids Ceana had made.

"This is amazing! 'Tis beautiful. Oh, I wish I could see it," Leora exclaimed. Ceana returned from her haze of thoughts and looked at the smiling Leora.

"You look pretty, lass," Ceana said. And she meant it. She truly did. Because Leora was pretty.

"Thank you, again."

"Leora, you have to stop thanking me. I'll get annoyed," Ceana lied.

But Leora saw how hard Ceana tried to keep a straight face. She raised an eyebrow at the MacAlister girl in an 'Oh-Really?' expression and looked straight into her dark eyes. Ceana was not used to anyone looking into her eyes that long and couldn't keep her cover.

She smiled. Then she laughed. And they both left the room in a fit of giggles.

~*~*~

"What do you think happened this morning?" Fionn asked Ian as they were taking aim at the targets while directing their bows.

"Something not good," Ian said.

"That's the obvious. Do you think she's sick? Or what if the maid found out her secret plan?" Fionn went on ranting.

"If the maid had found out what she was conspiring I think our fathers would also have been informed. Maybe she doesn't feel well."

"You don't think..." Fionn went on.

"Think what?"

"What if MacLachlan already took her against her will, and now she's with child." Fionn said as he let the arrow go with increasing velocity from the release.

"I don't think that. If she had been taken by her will, do you think she'd been able to put a smile on her face so quickly? She wasn't held captive too long, I'm not even sure 'tis possible to tell if she is with child yet. If she was, I think Caitir would've told our fathers by now," Ian said as he released his arrow, too.

"True, again." Fionn as he reached for another arrow.

"Let's just hope all is well."

"Aye."

Silence passed between the men as they shot their arrows repeatedly, aiming towards the targets. Maon approached them, with a smile on his face.

"You're getting better lads and just in time, too."

"Just in time? We've been better all along," Fionn said boastingly.

"We'll see, Fionn. Shall we wager on the next hunt?" Maon asked.

"Fionn, do you think we can catch a boar this time?" Ian asked jokingly.

"I wager we shall most definitely bring down a boar," Fionn said excitingly.

"What do you wager?" Maon's eyes full of interest.

Fionn thought hard while Ian was thinking harder. It had to be interesting this time. MacDuff and other comrades would be joining them on their next hunt. Which made it ever more suspenseful.