Chapter 3

I woke with a start, my heart was pounding a hundred miles an hour. I got my breathing under control and sat up. It was just a dream. My throat was dry so I got up to get some water. As I walked to my door I had the same feeling I wasn’t alone, the feeling went away as I reached the bathroom I flipped on the light and was temporarily blinded. I grabbed the glass on the counter and filled it. After I got done I walked back to my room the clock said 2:00 a.m. I got back in bed but kept the bed side light on. I had to get some sleep, but I kept thinking of the dream that had woke me. After about twenty minutes my eyes were starting to get heavy, I must have fallen back to sleep, the next thing I knew my alarm was going off. When I rolled over to look at the clock I gasped 7:30 I was going to be late. I jumped up and grabbed my clothes on the run. On my way through the kitchen I grabbed a granola bar then headed out to my bug.

By the time I got to school the lot was pretty much full. I grabbed my usual spot in the back. No surprise there. Then l headed for first period. I got there just as the bell rang. I slid into my seat as Mrs. Harris started the discussion about proper sentences expected on our essays. Emily slid me a note, asking if I wanted to go shopping tonight for dresses for the dance. I wrote her back to say that I would love to. When class got over I headed for next period. The rest of the day flew by, I was starving, good thing it was lunch time. I made my way to the cafeteria to get my food. I seen Hillary and Sadie sitting at the same table as yesterday. Emily was just paying for her food, and was headed to the table. I made my selection and paid for my food. I walked to the table, and just got seated when Justin and Ryan came to the table.

“Mind if we join you ladies?” they asked.

Hillary’s eyes lit up, then flashed to me in a silent warning. I stayed quiet and ate my food.

“Sure anytime guys.” purred Hillary. Offering the chair next to her for Ryan. Justin sat by Emily. I tried to act preoccupied. As I scanned the lunch room I saw Collin. He was sitting with his brothers at a table across the room. One of his brothers said something to him and he laughed. Our eyes met and I dropped my gaze to my plate. I felt my face heat as I started to blush. Scared of being caught looking at him again, I kept my eyes at my own table the rest of the lunch.

As I had been playing peek a boo, I had missed Emily invite Hillary and Sadie with us tonight. I groaned to myself. Just my luck, I was picturing a cat fight in the back seat of Emily’s escort. This shopping trip was not turning out how I expected. The one good thing that happen was Ryan Sadie and Hillary made plans to go to the dance together. I didn’t hear how that happened, I guess I lucked out with that one. I kind of felt bad for Ryan and Sadie having to spend the entire evening with gossip girl. It made my head hurt just thinking about it.

As I walked to sixth hour, my stomach started to do flips. I had to admit that I was excited to get there. Not for class, but for the person I sat next to in that class. I know he could never see me as anything more than ordinary, and pathetic but I could still wish. I got to class and went to my seat. He wasn’t there yet. I tried to calm my disappointment. I opened my book and got my note book out to take notes. I noticed out of the corner of my eye as he took his seat. My heart started to gallop. Every time he gets near me it’s like my body has a mind of its own. I chanced a look over at him. He was looking towards the front of the class, I took a minute to admire his beauty and perfection. The emotions I felt just looking at him were silly. One- I hardly know this guy. Two- I was afraid for the first time in my life that this guy is one I would like to know better. Like I had a chance. He smiled and I know that he seen me giving him the once over out of the corner of his eye. He glanced my way, and the side of his mouth twisted up in a half smile. I wonder why no glares today.

“Hi, glad to see you got here ok.” he teased.

I gave him a confused look.

“No stain, or wet clothes.” he chuckled.