Part 15

Samia knew they wouldn't make it back to town before sunset, but she at least wanted to be on the march in the open grass. The jungle could be difficult to manage in large groups after dark.

The boar carcass had been dressed and tied. The body had been split into four equal parts; each part connected to a long pole. Eight women carried the body parts, suspended on the pole between them as they walked. It was difficult work. The women traded in shifts as they grew tired. Men were brought along to help at this stage, but this was a traditional hunt. No men were allowed. Samia glanced at Kerr and Char. Perhaps not complete tradition.

Samia's eyes lingered on Kerr for a moment. Although his hands were bound behind his back with twine, he seemed to be walking just fine. He didn't even seem to mind being bound. He was looking around the jungle like he'd never seen it before. He looked like he was studying it. He reminded Samia of one of the disciples, learning a lesson. She wondered if Kerr could hold one end of a boar pole, but then dismissed the notion. He didn't look strong enough yet. Around him, the hunters were all but ignoring him. They seemed to be pretending that he wasn't carrying the trophy around his neck. One by one, they would glance toward him, but then look away. Samia doubted that any of them would care if he tried to run right now. But he didn't look like he was the type to run. He looked... satisfied.

Samia shook her head again. "Stupid man."

"You got that right." Maani was walking right beside her now, a wide smile on her face.

Samia grinned. "Welcome back."

"Yeah," said Maani, "I finished my sweep of the surrounding area. There is no danger."

Samia nodded, "Uh-huh. Thanks for taking the initiative to... sweep the area."

"Any time, Sis." Maani patted Samia on the shoulder and trotted off toward the front of the hunting party.

So quick to forgive, thought Samia. Although they were twins, their personalities were very different. Maani had always been the rhinoceros. She had also been the popular one. She had lead the hunts before, and she had spent all of this hunt telling Samia how to run it. People wondered why Samia was so often frowning. Often, it was because of something Maani did.

But at least Maani had forgiven her about Kerr. At least, she seemed to.

A shout came from the front of the line, "Approaching the edge!"

Samia looked up. She hadn't been paying enough attention. The group was approaching the plains now. The trees had been thinning for awhile now, spaced further and further apart. The ground they walked upon was more grass than dirt.

Samia held up a fist, "Hold!"

The party stopped walking. Hunters holding the boar sections lowered them from their shoulders with relieved groans. Turning to a hunter beside her, Samia made eye contact.

"Hapiu. Watch the man."

Hapiu frowned. She knew that "the man" was Kerr, and she went to stand by him without looking at him. She stood looking into the jungle, pretending as if she didn't know she was standing next to him.

Char laid on a gurney they had fashioned to carry him. The gurney was now on the ground, and his two carriers walked over to start chatting with Hapiu. All of them ignored Kerr.

Kerr looked to Hapiu, "If we're stopping, can I get these ropes off for a minute? I promise not to do anything." He smiled, looking innocent. Hapiu pretended to not even hear him.

Kerr's smile wavered a bit, but he said nothing. He went to Char and knelt beside him. Samia could see Kerr say something, but was too far to hear. What was he doing? It didn't matter; she had other things to do. Samia turning away.