Chapter 8

Jack's POV

A pang of brilliance went off in my brain. What if I took this, from a different angle? I jumped on the fence, latching my fingers into the gaps. The metal scraped my fingertips open, beads of blood sliding down them, but somehow, I didn't care. I knew I could use my intelligence to my advantage. I just kept climbing, no matter how much my fingers hurt. I finally made it to the top, a good six feet above the top of the center cage that encased Pitch. No one saw me. Not even Hiccup. The perfect time to strike.

Hiccup's POV

Suddenly, I saw Jack climbing up to the top of the metal fence! What was he thinking?! He stood on the top, teetering over the edge! I wanted to call out to him, but that would draw attention to him, and I'm sure he didn't want that, so I just watched. I watched him fall.

Jack's POV

I dropped off the edge a little sooner than I'd planned, but I knew I would still land on my target. As I landed, I could see Hiccup's face turn from panicked to relieved, then to panicked again. I rose to my feet on top of Pitch's cage, to the shock of my opponents. There was a trapdoor on top! This would allow me to win! It was locked, but I had just the thing. I pulled a paper clip out of my pocket, and began to pick the lock.

Hiccup's POV

What was Jack doing with that paper clip? He was picking a lock! Smart. It looked like he had it covered, but then I saw Flynn look up. Then he put his hands on the cage, and everything turned slow. He was going for Jack.

I ran in the cage as fast as I could, my legs tearing for the cage. Flynn was already close to the top. I bounded for the cage, scrambling to the top. Flynn swung his mace, about to crash it down on Jack's fragile head. I  pushed Jack and I off, just before the mace came down on the lock, smashing it to pieces. They had won. But I had saved him, and for some reason, that proved to be a better prize than the trophy.

Jack's POV

I heard the bell ring. I heard the triumphant cry of Flynn. I had lost.

I turned to look at the person who had stolen my prize. And to my surprise, and to my utmost rage, it was Hiccup Haddock.

"What. Were. You. Thinking." I stood up, and so did he. Even though I was at least six inches shorter than him, I felt bigger than him, somehow. "Why would you do that?! I had it! I had it right there! For god's sake, you're on my team!" He looked shocked and alarmed.

"I-I'm sorry I was only-"

"I don't want to hear it Hiccup! You cost us the win!"

"But you were- he was- you might've-"

"Might've what? Won? Well, not now.
I'm going back to our room. And don't think about following me. I'm not speaking to you." I turned from him. I took one step, and thought about looking back. I thought about forgiving him. I thought about it. Then, I couldn't anymore.

Hiccup's POV

I reached out to him, but I ended up grasping air. He didn't know that I was really just trying to protect him.

"Dude, I had no idea he had that in him." It was Snoutlout. He tugged on my shirt. "Come on, we have to join the others. We're getting the same talk as always." I walked with him to the mess hall, expecting the worst.