The banquet

Levy/Miyuki's P.O.V.

"Damn it!" I exclaimed, dragging Gray out of the hospital.

"What's wrong?!" he asked, worriedly.

"We have no clothes for the banquet!" I told him as I pulled him down the streets, looking for a good shop. Then I remembered something. "We don't even know if it is semi-formal, formal, or traditional!"

"Miyuki, calm down!" Gray laughed, stopping me by standing in front of me. "We have the whole day to look for clothes that are good enough for a banquet. Also, don't worry because the mayor told me that it is traditional."

"So we need to buy yukatas," I said out loud, trying to remember a shop where they sell them.

"Yes, but first, we need to take you to the hairdresser," my older brother told me. "You make your hair turn into its natural color while I'm looking for a good shop, okay?" When I nodded my head, he smiled, making me blush. He was making me feel like a little girl. "Now get going, and I'll find you when I finish." With that said, he pushed me towards the hairdresser's direction and then left in search of a yukata shop.

Sighing, I pleaded to God that my hair would look good. It had been a decade since I last saw myself with white hair, which made me very nervous about it. However, when I saw myself in the mirror, all my worries were gone. "I look like my mother," I thought happily before paying the girl and rushing towards where my big brother was, so I could show him my new style.

"Gray!" I called out for him when I noticed him standing in front of a shop. He turned towards my voice immediately and froze when he saw me. "What do you think?" I asked nervously, maintaining my gaze on the floor. I jumped a bit when he tucked some of my hair behind my ear. "Gray?"

"You look like Mom," he whispered with such veneration in his voice that it made me shed a few tears. "She would have cried if she saw you now."

"I miss them so much," I cried. "You don't know what I would give to remember... being blank is horrible!" He held me in his arms until I calmed down. "Did you find the shop at the end?" I asked, trying to change the topic as fast as I could. He made a gesture with his head, telling me to look at my right, and I saw it: Kimono Shop. I read out loud. "You did find it."

"Yes, indeed," he chuckled. "Let's get in! There is a yukata that would look gorgeous on you." When we got inside, he guided me to the end of the shop and showed me something that left me breathless. "Do you like it?" he asked, showing me a photo of the chapter. "I think it would match your hair pretty well."

"Since when do you care about that kind of stuff?" I giggled, amused at his comment.

"Since Juvia dragged me to all her shopping trips, saying that she didn't want to wear anything that 'Gray-sama' didn't approve of," he sighed annoyed but then smiled a little bit, looking at the yukata. "But then again, she always seemed so happy when I told her she looked gorgeous." I smiled softly at my big brother. Juvia was good for him. He had always been so cold, but now I could see warmth in his actions. "Come on, Miyuki, try it on!"

In the end, I did end up

taking that yukata, and Gray bought a dark blue one. We still had time before the banquet, but after everything that happened that day, we decided that we needed some rest, so we went to take a nap. Which ended up making us late. "We are truly sorry, Mayor!" I bowed down, expressing my sincere apologies.

"Don't," she told us kindly, raising a hand. "You were tired, and you needed more rest than you thought. I understand." She smiled at us and guided us to the stage. "It is time for the city to meet their heroes. People of Steel City, tonight, it's time for us to celebrate!" she announced, making everyone cheer. "We had been terrorized by the Winter and Autumn Gangs for a decade, and now we are finally free!" More cheers erupted from the crowd.

"A decade?" whispered Gray, confused. "The gang members weren't that strong."

"Not them... but their leaders," I answered, whispering. "I'm sure that the members had been changing a lot during the years, but the mages that came never were able to defeat their leaders, so the gangs never really ended. We saw with our eyes how they let their members be captured with no remorse for losing them."

"No more fear of our daughters being raped or our sons being recruited!" the mayor continued her speech, while I was trying not to throw up at the mention of rape and betrayal. "We don't need to give our money away anymore. We can live free now!" The cheering this time could be heard from miles away. "And all thanks to these two mages from Fairy Tail!" 'Fairy Tail!' was shouted by the crowd, making me swell with pride at being part of my guild. "That's why we are going to commemorate this day as the Independence Day for Steel City!" I looked at Gray, surprised. I had never been in any kind of celebration like this, and by the look on my brother's face, he was as shocked as me. "And we will name these young mages as the heroes of the city!" 'What?!' Our dual scream of astonishment was swallowed by the roar of the happy people. "Please, mages of Fairy Tail, take the microphone and give the people of Steel City some words."

Suddenly, everyone was quiet and attentive to what we had to say. I could notice that my big brother was so nervous that he was almost paralyzed, so I began talking first. "Hi, Steel City! My name is..." I stopped for a bit, looking at the floor, not knowing what to tell them, how I wanted to be remembered. Then I looked at a little girl who had her eyes wide open in wonder, and I knew that I had to tell the truth. They deserved the truth. "My name is Miyuki Fullbuster, and this is my older brother, Gray Fullbuster." I smiled at him before continuing to speak. "We weren't expecting this at all, so we didn't prepare a speech or anything."

"We just took a random mission a few days ago, hoping to get away from our loved but clingy lovers," admitted Gray. "We never expected to change the lives of so many people... I think us mages don't know what truly means the job we do at all."

"Maybe for some mages, taking a job means earning money," I thought of Lucy. "Proving yourself how much you've grown in power," I thought of Laxus. "Or just kicking someone's asses for fun," my brother chuckled, adding, "That's me," making everyone laugh. "But we never noticed how important our work is for the people who truly need it..." I looked at the crowd in front of me with teary eyes and then gazed at my brother, who returned my gaze. 'We need to help these people.'

"That's why we decided to stay in the city for more time and help out until you can stand on your own," announced Gray, causing the cheers to begin again, but this time they were chanting "Miyuki" and "Gray" over and over again.

"You don't have to," the mayor told us. "We can't afford to pay for another one of your services..."

"This is not for money," said an angry Gray. "We do it because we want to."

"Also, we will give you the money back," I told the mayor. "The city needs it more than us."

"You are truly a gift sent from heaven!" The mayor had tears falling from her eyes when she hugged both of us.

This mission didn't go as I expected, I thought.