Lost & Found

The nurse returned to Rose's room with a yogurt cup about 4 hours after her shift ended. She entered Rose's room wearing normal clothes, blue jeans and a black sweatshirt that read 'I Love Los Angeles' "
"How are you feeling?" She asked the girl in the bed. Rose avoided the question
"Where is the Doctor?" She asked.
"He's with another patient." She answered, forgetting about Rose's friend.
"John Smith!" Rose popped up so fast she made herself dizzy.
The Nurse placed the yogurt cup on Rose's bedside table and put a hand on Rose's knee and sighed.
"I looked. I truly looked. I couldn't find him. I looked in the burn unit, ICU, OR, even pediatrics. He isn't here. He may be in another hospital."
"Can you check other hospitals for me?" Rose asked in a child like voice.
"I can't. Patient information is classified and besides right now all the hospitals in the area are probably too busy. Every hospital right now is working around the clock." She told Rose. Rose covered her face with her hands and tried to mask her tears. When she finally pulled herself back together she took her hands away from her face and asked the nurse her name.
"Chelsey" she told her, "so why are you in New York?"
"We're- we're here on holiday" Rose nearly said 'we're time travelers'.
"How long have you been here?"
"We landed today."
"So you haven't seen much?"
"No."
the room was silent for a couple minutes
"Listen, I've done about as much as I can. I'm sorry." Chelsey sounded genuinely sorry.
Rose let a tear slip.
Chelsey handed her a tissue.
"I have to go, okay?"
Rose didn't say anything. Another tear fell.

"Hello?"  The Doctor called. The dogs barking was getting louder. A little face brown face appeared.
"Astrid!" The Doctor sighed in relief. The little dog yipped in excitement. Astrid tried to crawl into the hole but it was too small.
The Doctor could hear voices in the distance and another dog barking. This bark sounded like it belonged to a larger dog.
The Doctor called a second time. He could hear someone moving debris and he could hear the jingling of, he assumed were, dog tags.
The Doctor heard the barking of Astrid and then he heard someone yell "Over here!"
A few minutes later he could see the smoky sky and could breathe. The debris was piled to the side and 2 men were on both sides of the Doctor helping him up.
One man was running his hand over the Doctor's body, looking for injuries.
"Are you hurt anywhere?" He asked.
"M-my ribs and right arm." The Doctor informed him.
The doctor used his hand and softly ran his fingers down the Doctor's sided. The Doctor winced. The doctor removed his hands as soon as the Doctor winced and leaned over the Doctor to look at his arm. He could see that it was positioned at an awkward angle and he let it be. The Doctor realized that they had taken his jacket off.
"A couple broken ribs on both sides and a definite broken arm. You're lucky. Most people we've found were dead or seriously wounded. This is minor compared to some of the other injuries."
"I was carrying a child. Did you find him?" The Doctor tried to sit up but the man by his head gently pushed him back down.
The doctor looked up at the man observing from the top of the debris. He was holding Astrid and the leash snapped to the search and rescue German Shepherd. 
"Jimmy go look for the child. He can't be far."
The search and rescuer, Jimmy, commanded the German Shepherd to search. The Dog lowered his nose to the ground and began sniffing. The rescuer had put Astrid down. Astrid was looking down at the people in the hole.
"My friend Rose Tyler. Do you know where she is?"
"I don't know who that is. Was she in the building?"
"Hopefully not."
"So where are you from?" The paramedic asked the Time Lord, as he started putting a temporary cast on the Doctor's arm.
The Doctor realized he forgot his fake American accent.
"Liverpool, England." He lied, using the first UK city that popped into his head. He didn't have the Liverpool accent but who knew the difference?
"Nice city, Liverpool. I visited there last summer." The man sitting near the Doctor's head commented.
"Look can you please just get me out of here? I need to find my friend." The Doctor tried sitting up again.
"Okay we will. I can't do anything for your ribs right now. We will get you to a hospital."
"No. No I can't! I don't want to go to the hospital.
"Sir you need to go to the hospital. The doctor said.
"Please no!" The Doctor pleaded.
"You have to."
The Doctor stopped struggling.
It took them about 10 minutes for the duo to get the Doctor up out of the debris. The Doctor noticed that he was surrounded by towering rubble, mostly charred. The sky above was grey. He was sitting on a blue mat overlooking the hole he had been in. The area was swarming with paramedics, firefighters and search and rescue teams. The paramedics were letting him catch his breath. Astrid jumped into the Doctor's arms. He winces when the tiny dog shifted his weight onto his ribs. His left arm dangled by his side.
"Astrid, you good dog." The Doctor praised. Astrid looked up at him with sad eyes. She licked the blood off his face. The Doctor thought it was weird that the paramedics didn't notice the orange blood.
"We found the boy!" Jimmy called.
The Doctor heard debris being thrown to the side. He looked up with a frantic look.
"How is he." One of the paramedics asked.
Jimmy jumped into the hole. There was an awkward pause before he announced, "he's dead".