Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Bangalore, India 

September 2009

Today, my parents received a call from Prathiba Patil, the President of India. 

She said that my parents would be receiving the Bharat Ratna, one of the most prestigious award an Indian could receive, on 26 January 2010.

A few other recipients of the award are: Sir C.V. Raman , Dr S. Radhakrishnan and many more including Nelson Mandela. I don't know why he received an Indian award. But now, my parents' names would be next on the list.  

Mr Rajesh and Mrs Rachna Agarwal. Hopefully, someday, mine would be added too.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when Sahana, my sister, called out to me "Dhruv, c'mon quick, we're already running late, we have catch the bus to school. Mom and Dad are busy." 

"Coming . I'm coming."

My parents were working on inventing something. Again. 

So I rushed out of my room, in my school uniform, to the main door of our house.

It wasn't a big house. But not a small one either. Its an average sized house for a four membered family.

We ran to our apartment's main gate and saw that our friends held the bus for us.

As we got in the bus driver said " what is this? We'll get late for school"

I replied " sorry, got a little late"

I went and sat in the empty seat next to my friend, Anuj.

"Thanks for holding the bus for us"

"Don't thank me, thank Anushka! " he said

I turned around and saw Sahana chatting with Anushka. 

"Hey Anushka, thanks for holding the bus." I said.

"Well, do you think I'd be able to spend a bus-ride without your sis? You're Welcome, By the way" she replied and started to chat with my sister.

" So, are you prepared for the science exam? " asked Anuj.

"We have an exam?!" . My standard reply.

The exam was pretty easy and school that day went well, if you exclude when Mrs. Shalini, my french teacher took me to the principal for not writing what she dictated. I hated French.

After I got home, while I was doing my homework, the house-phone started to ring. 

I knew my parents would be in their lab, and Sahana would be too lazy to answer it, so I left my room and went for the phone.

"Hello?" 

"Dhruv!! How have you been doing? " 

It was my uncle Umesh. He was my mothers' brother and he lived in the United States. I was quite fond of him cause he always sent cakes and gifts for Sa's and my birthdays.

"I'm doing great, how about you? So what do you want to tell mom this time? " 

"Why do you assume I'm gonna tell Rachna something?" 

"Brcause you always do." 

"Okay, fine, you got me. Give it to mom"

"MOM" I shouted. "Uncle Umesh on the phone"

I put down the phone once she answered it, and went back to doing my homework.

Then both my parents called ma and Sa to the living room.

Sahana asked me "Dru why did they call us here?"

We got the answer almost immediately as,we saw our parents approach us.

" Our company had offered to transfer us to the US with a bigger lab and a higher salary. So we had asked uncle Umesh to search for a house we could live in. He had called now and he said that there was one perfect for our family. So we're shifting there this April. After Sahana's grade 10 board exams " said dad

"but I don't want to shift" Sahana and I said almost simultaneously.

"We're not arguing over it. We're shifting and that's final. " replied my mom.

" But mom, theres no Paani Puri or Golas in US. How would I survive? "

My dad replied this time. 

"You don't need them to survive Dhruv. We're shifting. End of discussion."

I didn't own a phone yet, so I had to wait till next morning to inform my friends. 

But, my sister, had her own phone. Damn you elder sisters. So she messaged her friends about it.

It was still September, so I had seven months left to live the Bangalore life. 

Well, I'll truly remember my 14 years in Bangalore. 

Damn, 14 years in Bangalore, and I still hadn't done anything adventurous.

I have to list out the adventurous stuff to be done in Bangalore before I leave...