Chapter 4: Fated Aptitude Test, Part III

Soon after Delilah put the papers into a scanner of some sort, she led me towards the final area in the room.

"Finally, we will be testing your talents. Would you like to tell me things you can or think you can do?" Delilah brought out a clipboard, ready to write down what I say.

I went through a list of things I could do in my head then answered. "Well, I can sing, play the piano, and paint. I think I may be able to shoot a bow well and play the flute and violin." I was unsure about the last to instruments I listed, but I had played some before and could read the sheet music.

Delilah wrote down what I listed, set down the clipboard, and clapped her hands together. "I cannot wait to watch this! Oh, but I will rate you on how well you performed, but never fear, I am positive you'll do great. You have an hour to display all of your acts and then you are done."

I gave her a slight smile then walked to where the piano was placed. I sat down and glanced at Delilah, asking for permission to begin. She nodded her head and I began. I was playing an exceptionally old but beautiful song, something about a flowing river. My grandmother had taught me the tune when I was young and I had still remembered how to play it to this day. My grandmother told me that it came from the previous country and that I must not play it when performing at parties because people may believe I was rebelling. The song was not illegal like some; it just showed a sign of possible uprising since it was from the country before. Most songs from America were banned for the fact that people may want to change Talas to its previous ruling. Most songs were lost during the war, though, but the songs that were saved would cause a revolution for the people that wanted to alter the current ruling.

I continued playing with passion until I finished the tune. I exhaled a breath and turned towards Delilah. She looked frightened, which puzzled me.

"That is a very dangerous song to play," she finally spoke.

"I meant no harm. I just thought that I could play it because it's soothing?" the last sentence came out more of a question than a statement. Was it really that offensive?

Delilah let out an aggravated sigh, "It's fine, just don't ever play it again. You don't want people on you, thinking you could possibly rebel, do you?"

I shook my head, scared of what could happen to me if I did continue playing it.

She smiled and changed the subject, "Now, would you like to sing next?"

I let out a toothy grin and went to where the microphone was standing in the center. Taking a breath, I began. I sang a song that my school class had been made to learn. It was a peaceful song and I had enjoyed it, though most songs we had to learn had been boring and did not mean anything. As I was singing, I began to think about my family and how they helped each other out and how much they loved each other. If I did get appointed as a Fated competitor, I suppose I would try for my family as they always tried for each other. I couldn't let down my family.

I finished the song with a smile and stood, waiting for directions.

Delilah spoke up, "That was amazing, dear. Let's move on to the painting part now, shall we? We are running short on time so I need you to hurry. Can you do a piece in thirty minutes?"

"How much time have I taken?" Had I been that slow?

"You have taken ten minutes, so with thirty minutes of painting, you would only have twenty to do the rest."

"I can make a painting in twenty minutes, so it will be fine," I reassured her. I had been trained to make a decent picture within a short amount of time, so now I was able to do most pieces in that time.