Night Owl

• Dedicated to My Readers

Authors Note~

It's been forever since I've been on WattPat, sorry I haven't been updating on "The 'J's'". After I wrote the next few chapter for it but me being so cool, my laptop shutdown & I didn't save. I'm a REALLY lazy person so I didn't want to rewrite. Moving on, I thought I'd make a new story since it's been months & I totally lost my train of ideas for my other story. Pardon me if it's all raw & haven't been proof read.

*******************************

I stood there, staring down the street. It was quiet and no one was around. Perfect time of the night for me. I twirled about, making sure the streets were unfilled. I heard a sound from the woods, instantly I ran towards it. I searched among the trees but the sound disappeared and I was left unaccompanied with the silence once again. I whistled, wondering if I'd hear it again. Disappointed, I headed home. "I guess I'll try again tomorrow night." I said racing home. "Shit! Crystal is going to smack me silly for being late again." I sprinted down my block, worried my nanny would be furious that I came home at 3 a.m. "I bet Crimson and Riley are still awake and hungry. I should have fed them." I ran up the drive way and stopped in front of the door, glancing up at my window. The lights are on in my room.... I'm screwed.

"Autumn Cherry Grayer!!!! Where have you been?! The fox was gnawing at the chair legs and the dog is whimpering in the kitchen when I came back from the grocery store! Do I need to call your mother and tell her that her 16 year old daughter is out and about at night, doing who knows what?" She screamed loud enough for me to hear and flinch but low enough so the neighbors don't wake up.

I opened the door to see Crimson pawing at the chair and Riley rolling in the kitchen. "Great..." I rolled my eyes just in time to see Crystal walking down the stairs. “Okay, I’ll feed them now. Nanny, sometimes you have to stay calm and call me. Plus you know where their food is, why starve them till I come back?” I asked her like it’s now a daily routine.

“Cher dear, it’s your responsibility to be concerned by them. You were the one who constantly asked if it was alright to keep Crimson.” She sighed and went back upstairs.

“Nanny can you stop calling me Cher? I don’t like my middle name and you know that.” I stated but no reply. I walked off into the kitchen and grabbed some high quality dog food for Crimson and Riley. “Hey babies, come here. I’m sorry I didn’t feed you earlier but Crimson, you can’t chew on the furniture okay?” I stared at Crimson as I filled their bowls. Crimson averted away from my eyes, she knew she was in trouble.

I felt a shock up my spine and screamed as I crumbled to the floor. “N-nanny! It’s hurting again!” I barely made out a whisper. Riley ran for the stairs to get a hold of her but all I could see was pitch black… “O-owl.”

Squinting my eyes as the light made the inside of my eyes reddish-orange. “Urgg. Crimson you silly fox, get your tiny paw off my forehead.” I blinks and saw Crimson above me. Glancing around my room to remember what happened, I gazed at my ceiling. “Owl…” I murmured, reaching for my back.

“Sometimes I fear for your life when you pass out like that. I don’t think there is a person in the world that has a glowing owl birthmark. It’s really unrealistic.” I turned my head to see my nanny at the entrance of the door.

“I’m sorry about last night, I just really need to comprehend why all of these things occur to me. I know you’re still not used to it after 7 years of looking after me.” Apologizing as I sighed. If only my parents were around to explain everything, it’d be far less complicated. I’m five feet tall but I’m still growing, wavy brown hair that frames my slightly pale face, and big baby blue eyes that seems to sparkle against the light… A plain looking girl with an abnormal life.

“Nanny, it’s not fair. If I wore anything that revealed my birthmark, people think it’s a tattoo! Teachers start thinking I’m a nuisance, my friends think I’m some disabled person but I’m not! Then every stinking few months or year we have to move because of some odd reason, which my parents don’t bother telling me why.” I burst out in tear as my back starts to sting.

“Oh dear..” She mutters, racing over to my side. “Sweet pea, you are the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen. You look so adorable with your big eyes and petite body. That birthmark makes you additionally delicate and fragile. Trust me, I’ll certain this year will be improved.” She whispered, pulling me close in her grasp. “Now let’s get you ready for school, don’t want you being late.” She smiled and tossed me off the bed.

Stumbling over to my closet, I opened the doors. “Time to get snazzy!” I sung happily and looked over to Riley and Crimson. “Hey guys, can you get my backpack ready?” I asked then gave Crimson a soft glare, she better not gnaw on my materials. 

“Hmmm, time for outfit check!” I ran out of my room, slid on the stair railing and stopped at the giant mirror that’s next to the front door. “Vintage is love!! Navy cardigan? Check. Navy floral tank top? Check. Jean shorts? Check. Black ruffled sandals? Check, check, and check! Crimson. Riley. You done?!” I shouted, sure they heard me. I turned around to see them dragging my string, Nike bag. “Thanks guys. Nanny!!! Let go already!” I shouted once more then left for the car.