Table of Contents

Short works, flash fiction and drabbles. These pieces may be as short as one hundred words, or as long as five hundred. They may be speculative in nature, or just a bit of prose poetry.

Some of these works may be found in my other collections, but I thought it would be a good idea to move all my super short pieces to one collection. This way, those who want bite sized bits of fiction can find them all in one place.

FAIRY TALE TWISTS:
The first five pieces were responses to the Stung flash fiction challenge at Figment.com. Each day a prompt was given with a fairy tale theme to be told with a futuristic twist.

1. Alone
A vast tower is Sheria's prison, the warden a creature beyond imagining. A retelling of when Beauty meets the Beast with a futuristic twist in one hundred and fifty words or less.

2. The Imminent End
Jennel risks all for one magical night. A retelling of when Cinderella leaves the ball with a futuristic twist in one hundred and fifty  words or less.

3. The Cure
Delilah's family is doomed, and she is helpless to aid them. That is until a stranger offers her a solution. A  retelling of when Rumpelstiltskin first meets the miller's daughter with a futuristic twist in one hundred and fifty words or less.

4. Exquisite Specimen
Keepers of the history of mankind reside in a tower, waiting for their masters to return. When their sanctuary is breached, they go on full alert.
A retelling of when seven dwarfs find Snow White in their home with a futuristic twist in one hundred and fifty words or less.

5. Ominous Fate
A retelling of Hansel and Gretel finding the witch's cottage with a futuristic twist in one hundred and fifty words or less.

 6. The Fowl Girl
Based on the Zuni "Turkey Girl" folktale, written for the Grand Prix Duo Drabble round at Challenge Corner.  

DRABBLES:
A drabble is an extremely short work of fiction of exactly one hundred words in length, not necessarily including the title.The purpose of the drabble is brevity, testing the author's ability to express interesting and meaningful ideas in an extremely confined space.

Drown Girl
A drabble based on a dream I had, a variation on one I've had since childhood when ever I'm staying at my parents house.

The Harbinger
Another drabble based on an experience I had while driving.

She is
A little character sketch in the form of prose poetry. 

Hungry Gods
A scifi drabble inspired by an image prompt of a massive metal humanoid looming over a man on a horse.

Playing with Fire
A somewhat random piece, just a bit of writing therapy. 

Hell Hath No Fury
A somewhat comedic drabble, writen for the Grand Prix Challenge at the Challenge Corner. 

FLASH FICTION

Stories
Pain is relative and cannot be easily judged.

Silence and Secrets
A bit of background story for my 'DreamWalker' series.

Night Drive
A very very old piece from when I was a teen driving home through the country at night.

 Gymkhana Runnery
My entry piece for the Grand Prix Challenge. The prompt was racing, and I went with a piece of my own memories of doing barrel racing at my local horse club when I was a younger. 

 Polumetis
A fun little piece written for the Grand Prix Challenge. The prompt was Beretta, so I dug into the history of the Beretta company and found some interesting tidbits about the family to use for this short story.

Sins of the Father
Another Grand Prix Challenge piece, based on the Gladiator prompt. I chose to go with the aftermath of battle and focus on the lives of the Gladiator's family.  

_____________________________________________________________________________

Copyright © 2013 by Marie Chavez

All rights reserved. This publication contains material protected under International and Federal Copyright Laws and Treaties. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is prohibited.
No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.