Part 16

-

The sensation of falling backwards brought Alex back to awareness and he groaned weakly as he felt his back sink into soft cushions.

"There we go," a voice whispered from somewhere above him as arms slipped out from under his shoulders and knees. "That's better."

Blinking his heavy eyelids open a tiny bit, Alex tried to lift his head and saw David's blurry face hover in front of him in the dim light of his living room. How did he get there?

"What's -?" He stopped short when the movement of his head made the room sway, and the sharp contraction of his stomach told him that he was dangerously close to emptying the contents of his stomach. With a whimper, Alex let his head fall back again, closed his eyes, and swallowed repeatedly as bile burned his throat.

"No no, don't move," David hushed him and placed his palm on top of Alex's forehead, which was damp with perspiration. "Better stay put until you feel better."

Alex rolled his head to the side and brought his arm up to push David's hand away. It landed on his shoulder instead, and Alex didn't have the energy to try to remove it again. He tried to collect the jumble in his spinning head but couldn't for the life of him remember how or why he'd ended up lying on his couch. All he could recall was being close to vomiting, followed by an indistinguishable pain and then darkness.

"How'd you get the door open?" Alex asked quietly, noticing how dry his mouth was.

David giggled from his seat on the edge of the cushion by Alex's middle. Alex wondered sluggishly if he'd said something funny, and he braved opening his eyes again to frown in question at David.

"I got the keys out of your pocket, silly. You blacked out for a minute there after your ex had a hissy fit."

Alex's stomach plummeted and his eyes widened as David's words triggered his memories of Adam watching them out in the hallway. But David just rolled his eyes and smiled. "Don't worry, though, he's gone now. I think he got the message. He's not gonna hurt you anymore."

"Oh god," Alex gasped as panic started to rush through his veins. "Adam. He thinks that I... that we... No. No no no, this isn't happening, I'm having a nightmare," Alex whispered, his words coming out jumbled. Adrenaline made him lift his upper body despite the way his stomach turned. "I have to find him, I can't let him think -"

He didn't get the chance to sit up fully before a pair of hands pushed him back down again, and Alex's eyes flew back to David's frowning face. "Stop it. You're in no condition to be running after anyone," David insisted as his voice grew sterner. "Here, I'll help you with your jacket, and then we can cuddle up with a nice, warm blanket."

David's face softened once more and he stroked his hand through Alex's fringe, and Alex recoiled from the touch. David was acting so strange, as he was truly unhinged, and he reached for the lapels on Alex's jacket. When he began tugging it down, Alex's panic multiplied and as if by magic, he felt instantly sober as he began struggling against David's hands.

"No, leave me alone," he said loudly, trying to wiggle away further up the couch. David wouldn't budge, however, and Alex opened his mouth to protest when the sound of the door opening after a quick knock made him pause. David's movements stilled instantly.

"Alex?"

Alex's breathing hitched as relief washed over him at the familiar voice. His eyes locked with David's and noted a look of worry on his startled features.

Caspar.

Alex started struggling against David's hold with renewed energy as Caspar's voice grew steadily closer to the living room.