Part 13

-

Alex's eyes snapped open. He was still trying to catch his breath, lying on his side and facing the mirrors. He caught his own eyes in the reflection, yet stared unseeingly at himself as his slightly sluggish mind whirled with confusion.

A kiss was being pressed against the back of his neck, followed by a rush of warm breaths from the man who was still pressed close to his back. But what had caught Alex's attention wasn't the kiss. It was the light brush of Adam's lips moving against his skin just a second before that.

Adam had said something.

Or rather, he'd mimed something, curving his lips around words that settled soundlessly in the space between them. The tiny, gentle puffs of air that had left Adam's mouth as his lips moved had felt strangely familiar; they tickled Alex's skin as well as the edges of his mind, like trying to remember a name that somehow suddenly escapes your memory and having it so close to reaching your consciousness that you can almost hear yourself say it. If Alex had been more focused, more alert... He could have sworn...

He was momentarily distracted from his thoughts when Adam's hand tightened a bit on his hip, and Alex was held in place as Adam slowly moved back to slip from his body. Alex couldn't stop the small sated sigh that escaped him at the gently pulsing warmth that accompanied the slight soreness left in the wake of Adam's presence. But when Adam rolled further away, his movements gently shaking the mattress underneath them as Alex spied him removing and tying off the condom, Alex's thoughts focused and zeroed in on the sensory memory of Adam's unspoken words once again.

He had to ask.

Drawing a careful breath, his question timed with the moment that Adam began rolling back onto his side toward him. "What was that?" he asked softly, almost afraid to break the somehow fragile silence between them.

Adam halted almost imperceptibly with his arm perched to wrap around Alex's waist once more, but the break in his movements was so fleeting that it would have been easily missed if Alex hadn't been paying close attention to their reflection in the mirrors across the room.

"Well that..." Adam murmured, intoning the last word before pausing to settle against Alex's back as he held him, "was kinda great, if you ask me," he finished with a sigh as he snuggled closer.

There was something... off about Adam's tone of voice, not to mention his casual choice of words, as if he was putting effort into sounding carefree, and it unsettled Alex even further.

"No," Alex objected, before rushing to add, "I mean, yes. That too..." He paused, unsure of why he was suddenly hesitant to go on. "But, what I meant was... You said something." He felt Adam's body grow slightly tense and Alex turned his head to speak over his shoulder. "What was it?"

Timid silence followed his question, and even if it was just for a few short moments, Alex's mind whirled while he waited for Adam's answer. There were several options and possibilities for what Adam might have said spinning in Alex's mind, but he didn't dare settle on any of them; especially not the one that flashed by the fastest of them all, yet still managed to make his heart speed up and his face fill with heat.

No. That simply wasn't an option.

"I didn't say anything."

Adam's words were measured and his voice had deepened to a slightly darker register, making his statement sound like he didn't want any argument on the honesty of it. A twinge of uncertainty filled Alex's chest, making him feel almost guilty for asking.

For hoping?

"Oh." Alex said simply and he murmured his next words as he turned his head back around to face the side of the bed. "Never mind, then. I'm probably just tired."