Bacchic Lard Fest: Chapter Thirty-Eight

"We have to leave, now."

Tonya knew why Aunt Helene wanted to flee, but she dawdled so her Aunt wouldn't suspect she was witness to the murder.

"I want to make a phone call first." Tonya didn't know many numbers, but when Priya gave her Ducky's, she had instantly learnt it by heart, as if anticipating this day.

"Why didn't you call while I was outside?" Her Aunt glared, waiting for an answer, but Tonya only shrugged.

"Forget the phone. We're going back to civilization."

"Good. Can I drop you at the Shoppe?"

"Not Loon Lake. We're going to Toronto."

If Tonya drove, would that make her an accomplice?

"I don't care where we go," said Tonya, "as long as we stop for lunch first." When they did, she intended to get away.

They were on the road for an hour before her Aunt finally relented and let her stop to grab a sandwich. At first, Tonya thought her Aunt would stay in the car for fear of being recognized, but then it dawned on her. The victim might not be discovered for days. Her Aunt wanted to keep Tonya close so she couldn't blab. Had her Aunt sensed Tonya's agitation, or spied her peeping through the barn boards?

She had to get a message to Ducky. She lined up at the counter with her Aunt, waited until it was their turn to order, then ran off to the washroom. Once inside, she waved a twenty dollar bill and begged a woman to loan her mobile phone.

"It's just one text, but it's gonna save my life."

"Sure. Just a moment." The lady was lathering her hands, over and over. Next, she rinsed thoroughly, and left the water running while she dried her hands and shut off the tap with the used paper towel.

Tonya looked over her shoulder, sure Aunt Helene would come in any minute.

"There we go," said the lady. "Nice and clean." She took the twenty, and handed Tonya her phone.

Before she could protest, Tonya ducked into a bathroom stall. "This is top secret." She wasn't taking any chances her Aunt would catch her texting.

Tonya sent Ducky an SOS message with her last known address and the approximate location of the sandwich shop.

"Hey! You are not going to pee with my phone in your hand!" The woman's voice rose hysterically.

"Don't get upset." Tonya finished quickly and passed it back under the stall door.

"You are disgusting!"

"I didn't. I'm sorry."

"Oh yes, and why is that?" It was her Aunt's voice. How long had she been in the bathroom? How much had she heard?

"I'm having stomach problems."

"I got your lunch. We have to go."

"Coming." She flushed the toilet, twice for realism, and opened the door. Helen stood right outside the stall, arms crossed.

It was hard not to flinch, in case her Aunt aimed the next two-by-four at her head. Aunt Helene stepped aside to let Tonya wash her hands, but hovered over her shoulder.

"Quick like a bunny."

In the mirror, Tonya could see the snaky glitter in her Aunt's eyes. She lathered and rinsed as slowly as she dared, but who was she fooling? Tonya could pretend to be sick, or she could refuse outright, but her Aunt would still make her drive to Toronto.

# # #

The Entity flexed its roots in delicious ecstasy, absorbing the fat of charmed acolytes. At last it could see through their eyes, and what a glorious scene! There was a feeding frenzy in the graveyard. Teenagers scarfed down pizzas amid the tombstones; while a group of ambulance drivers lay atop the autumn leaves, gorging themselves on tubs of lard. The pace of eating increased. Attendants threw away their spoons, cast off their shirts, and started licking lard off each other's hands, arms, and chests. It wouldn't be long now until they passed out in the leaves, sacrificing their adipose to the Entity.

Silent to the living ear burst a cacophony of subterranean thoughts, over which the Entity's voice rose exponentially. Soon when it spoke, none could disobey.

Excited at Its rising powers, the Entity raised thickening spore pods into the air, allowing the crisp breeze to caress and tease them. When the pods opened, spores would scatter. In cemeteries downwind, new gravedigger plants would blossom, seeking defunct flesh as in ancient times. Each new gravedigger plant a supernatural wonder, whispering telepathic warnings to assure the dead a peaceful resting place.

But this Entity was no ordinary gravedigger. Brooding at its centre lay something out of harmony with the cheerful mental collective. Pushing aside the playful thoughts of once-youths and once-adults, and overpowering the intellect of the former Professor Rudolph, a new voice soared.

Rising from this tomb, nestled inside the very tap root of the Entity, was the First Voice, who gave himself to rebirth the collective Entity in a more powerful incarnation. At last, the waiting and sacrifice was over.

I am rising!

The voice resonated through the minds of the dead below, and the still-living on the grass above. Spore pods withdrew underground, to await their proper time. Even the ambulance attendants paused in their slippery frolic. All eyes turned inward. Every thought and desire snapped into sharp focus. The collective mind became one, and in that mind one thought resonated through the rooted ground and into the sky above:

I am Jack Waldock!

**********************************

Thanks again for your support and for reading this far! 

This is the draft version of Feeding Frenzy. Want to read the entire finished version right now? Read it for free on Ream. https://reamstories.com/maaja

Or visit https://www.maajawentz.com/ for more novels and stories.

Thanks for reading!

Maaja