VIII. Midnight Snack

Audio File #3

"The girl shows increasing levels of hostility. It's almost amusing to watch her resist me so. She has no idea who she's dealing with. No idea of the power I now wield..

Her sanity is still overall well, though I did notice her relive a moment from her childhood. Only, twisted. It was of her father I believe. From what it looked like, they are- or were -quite close. When she embraced her paternal parent however, he immediately morphed into a haunted and attacked. The moment he lunged at her the dream ended.

I will continue to survey her for any further memories or symptoms of mental loss. Dissection will be postponed until further notice."

~ R

This blackout wasn't like the others. It wasn't a slow slip into a death-like sleep and groggy awakening to a new location. This one was sudden, and positively infuriating.

With a grunt she was tossed into a dark room. She scowled and turned to face Ruvik, sending as much hatred and resent possible his way. He stood in his usual haunting posture in a doorway. A lantern behind him shed some light, but everything else was shrouded in darkness.

"If you're gonna kill me, why don't you just get it over with?" She spat.

"Kill you?" He mused in his rough, relaxed tone. She thought he had chuckled, but it was so faint and raspy she couldn't be sure. "What use would you be of me then?"

She was silent in response. Just what kind of 'use' did he want of her? To turn her into one of those monsters? Claire sat for a moment, her thoughts flying around in her flustered mind, before speaking in a slightly less hostile tone. "Would you at least show me your face?"

The being seemed to freeze for a moment, as if taken by surprise, before he made an annoyed grunt in the back of his throat. Without a word he slammed the door shut, leaving her in the dark.

She huffed and blew a strand of black hair from her face. The metal door bore a small window, bared with iron bars like a prison. A small stream of light filtered through, but it was far from enough.

Now locked in a room with nothing but her thoughts, she now began to feel weary and hungry. She couldn't even recall how long she's been in this nightmare. The fatigue racking her body felt like days worth. A shuddering breath escaped her as she began to slump to the floor. Her eyes slipped shut involuntarily and she soon passed out.

She awoke feeling the same: tired, weary, hungry, angry. She looked at the barred door in front of her to see it cracked slightly, letting more light from outside seep in. Perplexed, she stood slowly and approached it. Her delicate fingers slid along the edges of the cold, metal door before she gently pushed it open. She peeked around the corner.

She was in the main hall once again.

Claire slipped out of her prison and darted to the large doors. She tugged with all her might at the handles, but it was locked shut. She muttered a curse and pressed her forehead against the door, closing her eyes and sighing in defeat.

Her sudden sense of helplessness now brought her empty stomach to attention. She couldn't remember the last time she'd eaten. Her head lifted as she suddenly recalled seeing a dining room of some sort near her prison. She made her way over and found that it was indeed true. A small hallway door lead to a small but luxurious looking room complete with a fancy looking table and matching chairs. Though, this was just a dining room, not a kitchen.