1: Who Are You ?!

There you go guys, chapter 1 :) Enjoy!

Picture of Chris Nicholas Anderson -------------------->

1. Who Are You?!

          “Aera” I heard my name being faintly called. I panicked. Were they here now? “Aera” I heard it again, just a bit louder. Were they coming closer? “No” I mumbled “Leave me alone, please.” I begged. “AERA JOELLE ANDERSON, WAKE UP!” I shot upright as my younger brother, Dylan, yelled at me. I was having the same nightmare again, it was about my favorite place in the whole wide world being ruined and as if on cue, Dylan asked “Did you have the same nightmare again?” “Umm … yeah, guess I did, but don’t worry about me, I’m fine” I replied faking a smile. He didn’t seem to believe me, but he let it go. I got up, took a quick shower and went to the dining area, so I could have breakfast with my aunt Amber, her husband Gary and Dylan.

          “Good morning” I said smiling. Aunt Amber just kept staring at me with what I felt was guilt in her eyes. “Good morning honey” She mumbled lowly, sympathetically. “Good morning AJ” Gary replied loudly. I didn’t even care to eat anything; I just sat at a stool across them both, looked my aunt straight in the eyes and said “What did I do?” I just had a gut feeling that I did something. Every time she has that look in her eyes, I instantly know that I did something wrong and irrational, because it can’t be Dylan, as he’s always the angel with wings. Truth is, he truly is! Then, I looked at him, he was staring at me and while doing so, he said “Chris is coming to pick us up”. Wait, who?! “Who in the world of the sane is Chris?” I yelled, “Your older brother” Gary replied. “My older what? I don’t have a freaking older brother! Are you crazy or something? What in the world is wrong with you? Since when do I have an older brother called Chris?” I yelled my lungs out. “Sweetie, I told you about him before. Remember when you first came to live here two months ago? I told you that someone very special is still in your life, that you didn’t lose all your family. I told you that no matter what happens, he’ll always stay by your side. I also said that he’s your brother, blood and flesh and that he’s four years older than you.” my aunt said calmly with tears in her piercing hazel eyes. Then, suddenly, the whole room was turning around and spinning and the last thing I remembered is the pain that shot like bullets at the back of my head.

          I heard faint whispers, I slowly tried opening my eyes and while doing so I heard someone say “Shh, she’s waking up”. I couldn’t make out who was talking, maybe I was dreaming again and I was held captive, but I don’t think that if I was held captive, they’ll be so caring as to speak calmly while waiting for me to wake up. Finally, I opened both eyes wide enough to see everything blurry. Then, I started making everything out, I was on the couch in the living room obviously and people were hovering over me; Dylan, Aunt Amber, head-spinningly handsome blonde stranger, Gary … wait, what?! Who’s that guy? Why does he look so much like me, with piercing blue eyes, golden blonde hair? Am I dead and this is an angel or something? Out of the blue, the guy started chuckling and I don’t think this was a scene to be laughing at, consequently, I felt extremely self-conscious. “What’s wrong?” I managed to say in a husky voice, which was absolutely embarrassing. “Who are you?” I tried again, with a slightly better voice. At once, the room fell silent. The silence was definitely deafening!

          “Oh! Thank God you’re fine Aera” my aunt gushed out. “Welcome back AJ” Gary said. Huh? What did they mean? Dylan came closer and got down on both his knees, his eyes looking red and puffy, like he was crying, and he silently whispered “Don’t you dare do that to me again, ever, please!” He hugged me and cried into my shoulder. “Shh, it’s okay Dyl, I’m fine honey, everything’s okay” I tried soothing him while trying to sit. I accomplished the sitting part, but what I couldn’t seem to accomplish is calming Dylan down. By now, he was literally sobbing into my shoulder. How could someone have so many tears in them? God, I scared him, BIG TIME! That actually brought me back to the main topic, “What happened” I asked? “You passed out while Amber was talking to you!” the stranger replied. “Who are you?” I asked in a very hard tone, something was telling me that I should be careful when it comes to this guy. “He’s your bro...” I cut Aunt Amber mid-sentence by hissing very coldly “I asked HIM!” “I’m Chris” he replied, obviously not bothered by my tone. “Why are yo…” I trailed off, remembering every single thing I was told, Chris, my 21 year old brother, who’ll come pick us up. My mind raced and I felt like throwing up. I leant my head back and once I did that my brother sobbed loudly, bringing me back to the real world. ‘Man up Aera!’ I thought to myself, I had to be strong for Dylan, I can’t hurt him and he’s literally everything I have left. He’s my baby 14 year old brother. He’s my entire life.