Chapter 5

Image: Daniel

--------------------

    Stacy lay staring at the ceiling, trying to figure out if last night had been real or just her imagination. Reaching up she scrubbed a her face with her hands and started to sit up. She started to kick and push at the covers that tangled around her legs. Once she'd freed herself from the trap she stepped out into the hall and shuffled toward the stairs and down to the breakfast knock in the kitchen.

    "Morning Sweetie." Monika said, flashing her a smile before she turned her attention to the pancakes she was making. Her father sat at the table reading his paper and sipping at a mug of coffee.

    "Morning." he grumbled out when she sat on the rounded booth seat. He was normally grumpy in the mornings until he got food in him.

    "Morning dad." Stacy said with a smile as she pulled the coffee pot over and poured some into her mug. She spooned in some sugar and added a bit of milk before sitting back with a sigh. She pulled her coffee up when her mother reached the table with a large stack of pancakes. As Stacy picked up her fork and reached out to get some pancakes she froze and shot a glare at her father. "You just took the whole stack."

    "There are only five." Frank shot back as he drenched his pancakes with syrup.

    "Yeah! Five to share."

    "I got here first." he pointed his fork at her before he forked a pancake and started to cut.

    "That doesn't matter. You're supposed to feed your kid first."

    "You're fully grown. You don't need to worry about that."

    "But you need to worry about the weight you've gained." Stacy smirked at the look he shot her. When he glanced at his stomach she shot her fork out and stole his cut pieces. "Sucka." she said as she scooted away a little.

    "I swear you two are five." Monika said as she set more pancakes on the table.

    "Hmm," Stacy dragged two pancakes onto her plate and shook her head. "He started it."

    "Stop that. Now, hurry and eat so we can go out. You need clothes right?"

    "Damn right." she dodged her mother's hand and flashed a nervous smile. "Sorry."

    "Better be." Monika snapped out before moving back to her stove to start cleaning it.

    Stacy rolled her eyes a little and hurried through her breakfast. She hesitated as she moved toward the sink. "Did you wash my clothes?"

    "Yes. They're still in the dryer." Monika said as she motioned toward the laundry room. Stacy nodded and moved to get her clothes before she hurried up to her room with her coffee to get ready.

    Stacy bounced down the stairs and went toward the kitchen, placing her now empty mug in the sink. "Rea....what're you making now?"

    "Cake." Monika replied as she poured the batter into a metal mold pan.

    "What! Mom, we're leaving like right now. You can't put it in and expect it to not get burned. Not like dad would ever remember to take it out."

    "It's a pudding cake. It goes in the fridge." Monika finished scrapping the bowl. She moved the pan to the fridge and the bowl to the sink.  "Okay we can go now." she said as she moved to grab her purse off the hall table.

    "Thanks for this mom." Stacy said as she followed Monika to the car.

    "Don't worry about it. You're my daughter. Of course I'm going to help you."