Chapter Four

I was awoken by the ringing of the bell that morning. Boys feet trampled the steps as the fled from the building down to the commotion of the stable yard. Blue lights flickered out side my window as I found my feet. I grabbed my coat an checked the pockets. Martin was head strong in the idea my smoking would kill me if I didn't stop. Can't a man have some freedom?

Luckily for me he had scarpered down the stairs among the first years who's screams of fear and some a rather strange excitement filled the air. I quickly pulled my coat over my shirt and trousers, which I had prepared at the end of my bed. For just such an occasion, I was most certainty not going to be seen in my pyjamas like the other boys. No I had to look presentable in case anything were to cause me to leave the schools grounds.My shoes were aligned perfectly so I could slip my feet into them without any hassle. To ensure I didn't miss the excitement I leaped from the window onto the gravel.

"It was the stable boy." Voices whispered as I walked over to the stable yard. Tape was being drawn and police officers already trying to push us all back. Like they do with every crime. I swiftly pulled the collar of my shirt over my jacket and approached one of the more important looking officers.

"Ah Lestrade good to see you." I smiled at the officer DI Lestrade it said on his ID card. "Scotland Yards treating you well I see."

"And you are." He asked with a puzzled look. Way more than I was expecting, normally you'd get blanked by a senior officer.

"Hamish Adler, intern. Sorry I'm late the M25 was terrible." I told him, thank god for the Internet I tough placing my phone back into my pocket and closing the traffic report.

"Coffee, then you can check for any obvious changes, dust patterns them get back to me." He ordered before turning back to the group of officers who he was briefing. I was in.

I dashed straight through flashing some ID to anyone who queried my place there. I'd picked it up from an Scotland Yard intern a few years back. With a tweak or two it was accustomed to me. Giving me access to all sorts of files with the swipe of a card. They really should be more careful who they let in.

It was murder alright. The victim had one sharp blow to the back of the head. The instrument rounded with an indent and about three centimetres in diameter. Matching that off the Horse used by the blacksmith who had found him on his rounds of the yard. As well as the angle the attacker must have been six foot five and male with the force of the blow.

"Sorry son you can't be in here." An officer ordered and with the assistance of another lifted me from the ground. I kicked as they carried me into he newt risen sunlight and through the yard to the edge of the tape. Where the threw me onto the wet grass.

"Kids." One muttered as they wandered back. I collected myself and made a run for it but they caught me and took me right back to the head masters office and threatened me with letting him know of my where about's, which would get me expelled and an open target for the mad men on my case. So like every other student I trotted back to my room. Not to sleep but to gather evidence.

"So the wound, made by a horse shoe with the curve of the blow. Murderer, six feet tall at least. Weapon horse shoe, would now be on one of the old mares scheduled for the farrier. Heated when it was applied would remove some of the DNA and then a horse cantering around the muddy field give it an hour and the amount will be next to none. By the end of the day perhaps a miniature sample, then by the time the police figure it out in a few days there will be nothing left." I told Martin who was scrawling it all down onto his notepad.

"Okay what else?" He asked as he finished his last sentence.

"Well, I'm sure that's enough. Get your coat we need to visit Lestrade." I ordered pulling me coat over my new outfit, much more relaxing. No more suit, they'd seen that. A hooded top and jeans what most of the other boys here wore. When you're running you learn to fit in, follow the crowd. Somehow a younger man in a long coat, and suit draws attention. I can't see why, its called being smart.