The End Of The Dream

KUDOS AND THE BBC OWN ALL THINGS [SPOOKS]. I OWN THIS STORY AND ALL ORIGINAL CHARACTERS.

Five years, five long blissful years of wearing this band of gold on my left hand and in those five years I had loved Lucas with all that I am, we had a wonderful home and three beautiful children, Aeryn, Caleb and Eloise. Life only got better, my business was a great success drawing in big businesses and fashion magazines to the degree I'd signed up several photographers to work for me and I took on the high end clientèle.

Which is why I was in a disused hangar filled with classic cars and men wearing Armani... and the only thing on my mind as I got the various pretty boy models to pose by the cars and bikes was that my husband looked better than any of them in Armani, Hell my husband would look good in a Hessian sack. Looking up and focussing the camera, I saw the man himself walking into the view finder carrying our eleven month old daughter on his hip, I smiled at the sight and took a few shots of them. It was time for a break, I'd been here since a little after six in the morning and it was coming up three in the afternoon and I hadn't sat down. Making my way to my husband and youngest daughter I smiled, before stretching up to kiss Eloise' tiny cheek and receiving a warm gentle kiss from Lucas.

'We were missing Mummy and as Aeryn and Caleb are in school we thought we'd leave the park and the swans behind and come see what Mummy was doing with a large group of young attractive men. From what I can see, she's ordering them about... How is it all going my gorgeous girl?'

I smiled and wrapped my arm around his waist, making my way outside into the bright sunshine, we sat together on a patch of grass next to the old airfield and relaxed my head was in Lucas' lap and Eloise was lying on a blanket next to us playing with some toys. For a small amount of time, we were getting some family time... Lucas was working harder than ever before as he'd taken over from Harry Pearce as the Head of Section D about two years ago. Harry had been killed in a bomb explosion, and it had affected everyone deeply, no one knew why Harry had been at the office block by Kings Cross, even now I knew Lucas was looking for answers. My husband had virtually shut down in the weeks and months after Harry' death, until I had told him I was pregnant again – a baby neither had planned on having but Eloise was an absolute joy and her siblings had adored the tiny baby in the house. We felt that in a way, that Eloise Harriet North had been a blessing for us all, something beautiful, pure and innocent to get us through dark harrowing times.

Time flew as it always did and I had to return to the shoot, kissing Lucas and Eloise goodbye I promised to call when I was leaving, something that had become a ritual over the last few years was that we would always call. Being the wife of a spy as good as Lucas had it's problems and thanks to the success of my business, my face was known.

Just after eight I left Wisley, my new Audi TT loaded up with equipment and for Lucas, three new suits – you had to love the gifts I got from the people I worked for, in the last two years I'd been gifted clothes, perfumes, a bike and two weeks ago, the car I was driving. Traffic was bad making it back to the house and I turned into a quiet B-road, the journey was going to take just as long but at least I wouldn't be bumper to bumper with people. I could also open the engine out and see what the car could do, the road was deserted and although not many lights, it was still light enough to see the road I had driven down a few times before. I smiled as I changed gear and gradually increased the speed, 60... 70... 80... 90... 95 miles an hour, as I took each twist and turn as fast as I could, I felt the exhilarationhit me. The sound of the engine roaring making me smile as I sang along to the radio, life was really good and in no time at all I'd be curled up with Lucas.