Rejected

I spent the rest of the morning pacing in my room. Elena was the Doppleganger. How could I not have known?

I knew when I first saw her that her resemblance to Katherine was extraordinary. There was no logical reason they would look that much alike......

Until now.

I was grateful to Elijah for coming to warn us. For more reasons than one.

If I was alone, I would've left 2 hours ago. I'd be in Europe by now.

But I had a duty to Elena....and Stefan and Damon. I couldn't just leave them to deal with Klaus on their own.

"Well, at least we'll all die at once," I muttered.

Damon strode in, uninvited. "Who's dying?"

I cursed, but internally decided that I had to tell him, and now was better than later.

I took a seat on the edge of the bed. "Look Damon, something's about to happen, and you have to accept that it's beyond either of our control, for now." I said, wringing my hands.

Damon stood still, his eyes intensely staring into mine. "The last time you said that was the day I asked you to marry me."

My cheeks flushed and my heartbeat quickened. I struggled to speak, and when I did talk, I stuttered, "That's n-not the p-point."

Damon smiled, barely, and slouched down in the chair by my desk. He smirked, "What do you need, Ana?"

I began, slowly, "Damon, I never told you the real reason I refused you."

His smile faded, jealousy flashing across his features. "You were in love with the Lockwood kid."

I winced, but brushed it off. "Only because I had to be."

"What?" he exclaimed, sitting up straighter.

"About a month before the proposal, I....had a visit from Elijah and Klaus Mikaelson, the Original vampires. They told me....."

I explained about their conversation with me. I wanted to tell him about the other encounters we'd had, but something inside me warned against it.

He was in shock. And when it comes to Damon, that means he was angry.

He walked around my room. "The Originals?"

I knew I couldn't stop his ranting, so I just leaned back on my pillows. "Yes."

"And that's why you didn't accept? Because of Katherine?"

I nodded.

He turned back around to me, and I gasped. His fangs were extended.....and his eyes.....

"Damon...." I said, carefully standing up by the wall.

He hissed and stalked over to me. My back was pressed flatly against the wall. He put his body against mine, his face only inches from mine. He breathed. I breathed. I could feel his warmth, his heat....it was intoxicating.

"I loved you, Ana," he whispered, the furious expression on his face growing.

"I loved you, too, Damon," I replied, my breathing getting heavier. Something about him triggered something inside of me, and it was becoming too dificult to fight back. My hand wrapped itself around the back of his neck.

His face softened, as it returned to its regular form. His hand rested on my waist.

His eyes filled with hope. "Do you still?"

---

1864

The stars were shining so bright, they seemed to be coming straight at us. I prayed they would, so I would not have to deal with what was coming.