-=Chapter Eight=-

I left Jeremy there, and it registers in my brain that we are not friends anymore. No more Jeremy in my life, he’s just one of my neighbors. Although it is hard, I just have to accept the fact that he’s gone. I went in the ladies room dripping wet, I thought I was alone when someone caught my eye, and I’m happy that she’s here.

“Jamie, why are you dripping wet? And you’re eyes are bloodshot, have you been crying?” I don’t need a Megan inquisition right now.

“nothing meg” I tell her, but I know she knows it’s not nothing.

“no, I will not take a nothing for an answer” she tells me, she is so exasperating sometimes. I know I have to tell her at some point in my life, well here goes nothing.

“Jeremy and I are not friends anymore” I tell her sighing. I can see the horror on her face, but the dominating emotion on her eyes is pity.

“why?” she asks me.

“well, he lied to me Meg, he didn’t tell me he and Cindy were dating” I tell her. I know I can trust her, she’s my best friend.

“they are dating? No way!”  she asks, shocked.

“yes way” I tell her.

“so you’re ending your friendship because he is dating Cindy?” Megan asks me.

“no, the thing is, he lied to me, my  best friend lied to me.” I tell her, she walks coming towards me, she holds my hand, giving me a reassuring squeeze.

“I’m sorry Jamie” she tells me.

“don’t be Meg, it’s not your fault” I tell her.

“we need to get you home, you’re dripping wet, Jason was looking all over for you, I tried calling you but you won’t answer” she tells me, I got my phone from my back pocket. Thank God it is not destroyed, but it is still wet. I unlock the screen and saw that I had 30 missed calls, 5 from Megan, 5 from Chase, sheez, he called me too? Shocking, it’s not every day that someone popular calls you, and finally 20 missed calls from Jason. “we have been worried sick you know?”

“sorry about that, I do need to go home, but how?” I ask her. I don’t have a car, well I can walk, I don’t mind, I’m wet anyway.

“I can take you silly, I just need to get my things at the gym, I left them with Chase” she tells me, and I realized that I also left my bag at the booth.

“can you get my bag too? I just need to use the comfort room, I’ll be with you in a while, let’s meet at my locker?” I ask her, and she nods and walks away. It’s nice to finally be on your own. I splashed my face with water although it’s already wet. I don’t have extra clothes and I’m beginning to feel sick.

“you can do this Jamie, now that Jeremy is no longer your friend what difference does it make?” I ask myself in front of the mirror, it makes a big difference, I just lost my best friend, no more movie night, no one’s going to annoy me as hell by waking me up early in the morning, no one is going to tell me how they hate costumes, no one is going to take me to Ben’s diner and order for me because he perfectly knows what I like and no more Jeremy.

I got out of the comfort room as soon as I felt I was okay and no more tears were streaming down my face and I gasped surprised because Jason was standing outside. His head bowed down, his arms folded and he is leaning against the wall. He looks up and smirks at me, but it was gone when he saw what a total wreck I look like now. He comes closer and cups my check.

“what happened?” he asked me, concern is evident in his voice. I don’t want to tell him now, or else I would be crying. I just looked down, not wanting to meet his eyes. He gives my shoulder a reassuring squeeze. “it’s okay Jamie, you don’t have to tell me, but I’m here if you need me”