The beginning

This isn't any mermaid story. It's the story of me, Sadie. I don't live in a time of pirates and dragons. I live in the modern world, the 2011 modern world that is. I'm 12 and so far my lifes just been an adventure. Not a happy one.

I wasn't born a mermaid. I was born in plain old Wyoming. My parents weren't secret mermaids or anything. They were normal people like you. It all started when we went to Florida for vacation. I was 12 at the time and I couldn't swim. It's not that I didn't want to learn it's that there wasn't really a need for it.

Our destination was the Key's. Like Key Largo and Key West. There was a direct flight to Miami and we took it. My dads name was Tom and my moms was Ellie. I have my dads green eyes and my moms flowing blonde hair. I stood out from the Florida people but that didn't make any difference.

We were taking a snorkeling tour on this boat with a glass bottom. I didn't go swimming though, I sat on the glass bottom floor and watched the reef and fish all day.

Once on the third day of the tour I saw something purple flash in the corner of my eye. Next a head appeared right under the glass. I screamed. My mom ran down. I pointed to where the head was but the head wasn't there anymore. Everyone that had come to my rescue was going back up to get their supplies for another snorkel. I warned them that something was in the water but they didn't listen.

When they had dived in I looked back to the glass. It was there again. It was some sort of creature. Obviously female. Her face was perfectly shaped. Her black hair was long and flowing like mine but her skin was olive colored not pale. Her eyes were blue but her pupils were not round. They were a slit and they looked just like cats eyes. When her long hair was pulled away from her neck by the current I could see three long cuts on either side of her neck. When I crouched down and looked closer I could see that they were gills.

She stared at me with a cold look in her eyes. In a split second she was gone but not before I saw her legs or I guess I should say tail. She was a mermaid. Her tail was long and purple. It shimmered and sparkled when the suns rays hit it. I ran up to the top of the boat and looked out over the water. They were everywhere. People in the water were screaming. I desperatly searched for my parents. There they were! Holding on to each other far away from the boat. My dad went down first. He was just pulled down. My mom screamed even harder. Then she was gone too. Just like that.

I could see blood on the surface and I could feel tears running down my face. I needed to hide. I remebered a cabinet on the lower level but to get there I had to run across the glass floor to get there. I decided that was my best chance and went for it.

I ran down the stairs but stopped on the last step. I looked out across the floor. The water seemed calm, unlike the surface. I took a cautious step onto the glass. Nothing happened. I ran. Halfway there I heard a crack right under my feet. As soon as I looked down I saw her. It was my mom.

The mermaid with the purple tail had her. My moms lifeless eyes were staring up at me. I tried to scream but no sound came out. Cracks stretched out all across the floor now. It started to break. The mermaid smiled. I was going to fall right into her arms where she would probably kill me just like my mom.

As I was just about to fall I saw a blue flash. It was another mermaid. One about my age. Her hair was a light brown color and her eyes were the bluest blue I'd ever seen. She pushed the purple mermaid away and caught me when I hit the water.

She pulled me away from under the boat which was starting to flood and sink. I needed air. I started to thrash in the water. Stay calm human! I heard in my head. The mermaid was mindspeaking to me. I can't swim! I thought as loud as I could.

The blue mermaid stopped. She raised the hand that wasn't holding me. It was webbed and looked slimy. I tried to pull away but her grip was strong. She put her hand on my face and everything went black.