Pierce's POV - Chapter 8

I couldn't control how Olivia had clouded up my mind for the whole weekend. By Sunday morning, I woke up with a really bad headache from drinking a lot. I still felt my cheek throbbing where Olivia had slapped me really hard. I couldn't believe I made her cry that night. It was an asshole move of me to say something like that. I judged her without even trying to get to know her.

When Monday rolled in, I couldn't get myself to apologize to Olivia. I was embarrassed with what I had done and when I came into the office she was already cooped up in her own space. I walked into my office and noticed the stack of files that were neatly placed on my desk. There was a pink sticky note stuck to it. It was a list telling me what I had to do with these files. I thought of calling her in but I couldn't think of a reason for her to come by my office. Clearly, she didn't want to see me right now.

I kept pacing back and forth as I tried to focus that I should be doing some work. I had the sudden urge to want to know more about her. Without giving it much thought, I contacted the Human Resource Department and asked for some employee files. Within a few minutes, someone had knocked on my door. She peered into my office and greeted me, "Good morning, Mr. Alexander. I brought the employee files that you requested."

"Just put it on my desk. Thanks."

"I hope you don't mind me asking. What did you need these for?" She asked curiosity mixed on her tone.

I looked up at her, "It's none of your concern. You may now leave." I replied.

I could see that she was uneasy with the authoritative tone of voice I just used on her. I didn't really mean to but I didn't want her to know that I wanted to take a look into one specific person which was Olivia. I had requested her to just bring the employee files who were working close under me so she wouldn't suspect a thing.

The girl just nodded without uttering another word and left my office. I turned my attention back to the box of folders. I dug into it and searched for Olivia's file folder. When I got a hold of it, I was eager to know about her background.

Name: Olivia Bailey

Place of Birth: Connecticut

Date of Birth: October 20, 1990

Father: Oliver Bailey Occupation: -deceased-

Mother: Vivian Bailey Occupation: -deceased-

Highest Educational Attainment: High School

In case of emergency:

Contact person: Olga Bailey

Relation: Grandmother

These were just some of the important bits of information I got from her file. I never thought her parents were no longer with her. I wonder when they had passed away and left her to be on her own. She didn't even have a college degree. Was my father helping her all along? Did he give her money for her to use when she needed it most?

I was stunned to have come up with this realization. It was either she was working really hard to survive or she might have used my father for money. I really didn't know what to think of her. Deep inside of me felt that she was different because my father saw something in her. The only way to find out was to get to know her and try to be nicer. Why am I even curious about her? It made no sense to me.

It was Thursday night and we had to finish some reports for the proposed projects in San Francisco. It was a plan to renovate some areas since the competition in the industry had skyrocketed this year. We had to be always on top and give our hotel guests and patrons their highest satisfaction with our services. They were due on Monday so Olivia and I had to stay in late to finish them on time.