Blood Lust

Shadows danced dimly across the abandoned parking lot. My heels clicked to the pavement, reverberating off the ally walls, and warped into the midnight air. I kept my head low and jacket pulled up to my face for comfort. Off in the distance, sirens wailed letting me know that the city was still alive with crime. My whole body tingled with nerves as the sinking feeling of fear started creeping through me like a tiger on the prowl. I griped my purse close to my side and started fishing for my keys. My car, nestled between the sidewalk and street lamp, was quickly coming into view. Hope fluttered in the pit of my stomach as my fingers brushed against my keys. I yanked them out of my purse and pointed the clicker to the car. Just a few more steps and I would be safe.

Metal clashed to the ground. I whipped my head back as fear regained the rights to my body. My feet turned to lead and I was completely frozen. I could count the rapid beating of my heart as it thundered against my rib cage. My eyes struggled to see through the darkness that shrouded the ally. After a few seconds, a cat leaped from the darkness and darted back into the shadows. Paranoid. That was the word for it. I was being paranoid.

I shrugged my shoulders and spun back around on the balls of my feet. My hand unsteadily rose back in the direction of my car. I clicked the button to unlock the door and the headlights flickered twice. I took a step forward; the sound of movement echoed then died down. I took another step. My heart began to slow. I took one more step inching my way safely out of the ally. My car was in sight. I could reach my hand out to touch it, but I would never get the chance. One more step and I could feel the pressure of a thin blade against my throat. I tried to swallow, but the lump clogging my breathing refused to go down.

“I don’t have any money.” I tried.

“Honey, it’s not your money I’m after.” Came a gruff, hollow voice. I could feel his breath running down my neck. The putrid scent of alcohol burned my nostrils. I licked my lips, tears swelled in the slits of my eyes clouding my vision completely. My mind ran wild, thoughts just out of my grip.

“You might as well kill me now.” I said. “Because whatever you’re after, I’m not going to give you.”

Suddenly a warm liquid started trickling down my neck. I felt cold. I felt lightheaded. I felt no more fear.

“Hey, girl, wake up?” My head felt as if an elephant decided to roll over on it. My whole body ached. “Girl, what’s your name? Are you up?”

I focused all of my energy on trying to open my eyes, but I was drained. Body, mind, gone. Something brushed against my leg. Goosebumps covered my skin with contact.

“She’s alive.” Came another voice. A male. “That’s good.” 

There was a few seconds of silent as I tried to move. My body quivered. Why was I so weak?

“Stay down.” Whispered the first voice, a girl. Her tone was coaxed with concern I couldn’t quite place. “They’ll be back soon.”

They? I could feel my brows bind together with confusion.

“Shut the hell up!” The man roared. The sound of flesh against flesh ripped through the air. My stomach knotted. The girl, she didn’t speak. The sound of her voice was replaced with the sound of soft sobbing. My heart leaped. Where am I?

Footsteps lurked in the darkness. Slowly they began to grow louder and louder, tapping un-rhythmically until they were almost on top of us.

“Is this the new one?” Asked a low, smooth, almost excited voice.

“Yeah.” Said the first male. “She managed to survive the night.”

Survive the night? Me? My heart nearly exploded with terror.