1 - Suspicion

Michael's POV
_________
_____
_

"Earth to Michael." My mother, Karen, chuckled as she waved her hand in front of my face, attempting to pull my gaze away from the video game that has preoccupied the majority of my day already.

"Mom!" I screeched, my fingers frantically moving over all the buttons on the controller that's been clutched in my grasp for hours now, trying my best to recover from the injuries that had happened to me while my mother's hand was in my line of vision. I failed.

Gunshots continued to sound off around the guy that I was playing as, echoing around my blacked-out bedroom. I groaned, knowing that I had absolutely no chance of winning. So I just moved my thumbs away from the key's they were previously pressing down and watched as my guy quickly got shot dead.

"Are you happy now?" I huffed as I brought my thumbs back to the buttons covering my controller and speedily exited out of the addicting video game. "I was about to beat my high score."

"You have to go over to Vivienne's, Michael, whether you're happy with her decision or not. She's leaving in thirty minutes." My mom scoffed, rolling her eyes at my so-called, 'immaturity', as she always seems to put it. "Plus you've locked yourself up inside this dungeon all day. You need some sun on your pale skin."

"Sun? I've never heard of it." I sarcastically furrowed my eyebrows in mock confusion. I hated going outside. Anyone who knew me knew that I was definitely not made to be an outside person.

"Get up and go over to your best friend's house before you're too late. You need to spend some time with her, she's going to be gone for a whole month, Michael." She sighed, ignoring the last thing I had said, plastering a serious look onto her face as she pointed out the news that I had hoped was false when my best friend told me the first time.

"Please don't remind me mother," I grumbled quietly while forcing myself to get up off of my bedroom floor and towards my closet for a light jacket.

Winter is my favorite season. I've always despised hot weather, it feels as if I'm melting whenever I walk outside during the warmer months. But now that it's the end of December, I've been completely satisfied with the cool air that floated about.

"Be careful on the roads, sweetie, it rained earlier and the temperatures dropped a lot since yesterday, so they're calling for ice on the highway's this evening." My mom called out as I speed down the stairs. I was too far away from her for her to hear me without yelling - which I wasn't in the mood of doing - so I gave her a thumbs up when she reached a spot at the top of the steps where she could clearly see my gesture.

After throwing on my old beat-up combat boots and the light jacket I brought downstairs with me, I grabbed my car keys and made my way outside in the cool, welcoming air.

The drive over to Viv's house wasn't long, she only lives two blocks down from me. I usually walk to her house - not because I want too, exercise sucks, but because I have a very old, run-down car - but in the colder months, I can't walk all that way without getting at least a little bit sick. So I drive, hoping that my car doesn't decide to break down on the way there.

Pulling into an empty space I could find in her driveway full of random cars - she has a huge family - I quickly made my way inside to find her.

"Michael! You finally decided to join us." I was greeted by Vivienne's mother, Florence. "We didn't know if you would make it in time or not."