Chapter 2. Truth

Takeshi held the pencil by the base of his thumb. He listened to the clock tick for four seconds, then wrote down his name. His eyes scanned the pages then returned to the top, his pencil moving now.

___ (The bus) arrived at the station.

He scribbled the answer and read through the next question, and the next, following this pattern until the first page of the exam was completely and correctly filled in.

___ (father) took his computer to work. Mr. Okawa broke ____ (vase). Mother thought ____ (mother) lost her purse.

His mind answered faster than his hand did, and that was often infuriating. But today he didn't mind as he was occupied with other thoughts.

Principal Harada had been waiting by his locker this morning. The sight wasn't really that surprising. As he walked toward the principal, Takeshi nursed a faint hope that he would be told to go somewhere with a ski resort for whatever contest he had to win now. Soon, though, he reached the principal and had to feign politeness.

"Takeshi!" The principal had patted his arm as comfortably as he used his name.

"Principal Harada." Takeshi issued him a curt nod.

The principal was a short stocky man with a thinning crown of hair, a plastered-on smile, and a voice one usually heard from second-hand car salesmen. In their three years together, he had utilized Takeshi's genius as fully as only a stereotypical head educator like him could.

It seemed logical enough: principals needed good students to bring honor, prestige, and sponsors to the school, in the same manner that boys clung to his status and girls to his popularity. His mother would tell him this was how the world made sense. Takeshi understood what she meant, but he did not think it necessary to agree.

He scolded himself for his internal babbling. Even his in-head dialogues diverted.

He finished the fill-in-the-blanks portion of the exam. Takeshi turned the page, grunting under his breath because the English teacher, Miss Matsuda, did not even try to challenge him. His mind returned to Principal Harada.

"Harvard Law is having its first international convention in January," the principal had said, barely containing his excitement. "I took the liberty of submitting your name weeks before. The dean sent your acceptance letter this morning."

Takeshi had taken the thick envelope extended to him, thinking, This is new.

"You will be excused from your classes for that period, of course," said the principal. "I will personally catch you up on the lessons you will miss."

"That won't be necessary." Takeshi had meant to sound matter-of-fact, but the principal's smile had moved to a tense line. "Thank you," he added after a late second.

"I know of your aspirations to be a lawyer," the principal had gone on, the grin back on his face. "Maybe Harvard Law is for you."

Takeshi finished his exam with a final dot. He pressed the sheets together and rose from his chair. He barely made a sound, but his seatmates' heads moved to look at the early bird. When they saw it was only him as usual, they returned their scrunched brows to their papers. Yuta Tanaka glared at Takeshi as he passed by.

Takeshi gave Yuta a return smirk as he deposited his exam on the teacher's desk and left the room. Only fifteen minutes had passed since the bell.

"I imagine your parents will be even prouder of you with this new honor," Principal Harada had said as they parted.

He was walking alone in the cold deserted halls, but Takeshi's lips moved to a smile. His mother would like to hear about this, his father even more so.