Chapter 4

RECAP:

“You heard me. Get rid of Alex Coleman.”

“That’s mad.” He said instantly.

“No it’s not,” I began “Look at the facts; he’s a loser, a loner, a saddo, a creep and worst of all a thief.”

“A thief?” Jayden questioned.

“Yes, he’s stealing my sister.”

Jayden sighed and didn’t say anything for a few minutes.

“Ellie, don’t...don’t do this please, it won’t end good.” He said running a hand through his dark hair.

I glared at him “What are you talking about?”

“It’s just not a good idea, I mean what about Evie-,” I cut him off sure of what was going to come next.

“Fine then, whatever.  You be useless, but just remember how you felt when there was someone barging into your life and you really didn’t want them to.”

“This is different Ellie, and you know it.” He said his voice hardening. He stood up abruptly and put his hands on his hips.

I slowly stood up and watched him.

“Ellie honestly, you should go home now, get some sleep and then when you wake in the morning have a good long thing about the way you’re acting, this is mental and just pathetic, can’t you see how happy Evie is? Why would you want to ruin this for her? Have you no idea about what she’s-,” he stopped suddenly the colour slightly draining from his voice.

I just stared at him. “What?”

He sighed “Nothing, I don’t know what I’m saying, I’m just so tired. I’ll see you later Ellie.” And that was that.

Me being the stupid person I was back then, I took no heed of what Jayden said, and to say I should have paid attention to even half of what he said would have been an understatement.

******************************************************************************

Chapter Four

NOT BEEN EDITED

Unlike most people I knew, I was never one to be afraid of hospitals. Granted I’d never spent much time in one but still.

I remember once though when dad had to go in once for a minor operation and I had been pretty worried because the doctor had come out wearing all white and green plastic paper on his face. he didn't look very happy and it frightened me. But it was all fine and dad came home that exact day. Obviously I knew that very ill people had to spend half their lives in hospitals so then obviously their friends and family wouldn’t be very fond of them.

I started spending time alone a lot that summer during the period where Evie was engaged. I took long walks along the beach and just stood enjoying the soft feel of the sand beneath my feet. Evie would sometimes be home when I returned and sometimes not.

Evie had changed a lot over the past eighteen months; Alex made her different in a way that it was just so difficult to explain. Maybe I didn’t understand at the time that everyone comes into your life for a reason, some to teach you something about yourself maybe and some to just give you happiness and love. Some stay for long and some for a short while, but you just have to make the best of what you have.

My plan with Alex had still not been put in action, but I wanted to show Evie that I was angry with her, and also at the same time show her that I didn’t need her to always show me the way. I could fend for myself very well.

Alex seemed uncomfortable when he first realised that whenever he came over, watched TV with us, went out or even ate dinner I always left. One day though when I was in my bedroom when my mother knocked on my door, I knew it was because I had heard her come up the stairs.

“Ellie?” she called from the other side.

I sighed as I threw my magazine down. “What is it?”

“Come and eat with us.” She said, she quickly rushed back the down the stairs before I could say no. I swung my legs out of the comfy bed and grabbed my black cardie before reluctantly following her down. I would have thought now that my family were pretty used to eating without me now. I took a seat at the end of the table, not right beside anyone. Evie was sitting nearest to me with Alex next to her; my mother was sitting directly opposite Alex and Evie.

“So, then Ellie I was thinking that a vacation is in order for us all.” My mother said suddenly.

I paused mid-chew and tried to place what she had just said in my head. The idea didn’t fit well. I looked up and realised that they were all waiting for me to say something, anything.

“Sounds great.” I said eventually, I knew that everyone had heard the flatness in my voice.

“Your father will be joining us.” She added. I looked up at her interestedly, just as I opened my mouth to comment on this she-my mother stood and walked out of the room.

“Charming,” I muttered under my breath. I tried to finish the rest of my meal quickly taking several bites in a single go. Just as soon as I stood I felt Evie’s armsnake around my wrist.

“Yes?” I looked at her expressionlessly.

She smiled at me “Isn’t it exciting?” she asked.

“Yes, very thrilling.” I agreed, even though I was thinking the exact opposite.

I packed everything at the last minute. While I was trying to cram in the last of my possessions I remembered that I had forgotten to raid the bathroom.

“Damn!” I said loudly as I took my hand off the top of the case watching it fling open.

 “Are you packed?” a voice called from the door. I grimaced as my eyes made contact with Alex's. 

I didn’t say anything, but instead got up to get my things from the bathroom, when I came back he was still there.

“What?” I asked him unable to keep the irritation out of my voice.

“You want help with that?” he asked gesturing to the suitcase. I glared at him, he knew very well that I had just spent the last fifteen minutes struggling with it.

“Well what do you think?” I snarled at him.

“Hey, hey, Ellie no need to be like that, cheer up we’re going on holiday,” he said coming forward, he poked my cheek as he went past me to close the black case.

“Hey!” I swatted his arm away and watched as he closed the case with ease.

“There!” he said “Shall I take it down for you?”

I nodded. “Okay then.”

It took over two and a half hours to arrive at the airport. I really hate the crowded atmosphere at the airport but I had to endure the pain silently.

In the plane I sat beside my father, I wanted the aisle seat and he wanted the window so it worked out fine. I stayed awake throughout the journey as did everyone else despite it being long ride. It was dark when we landed in Sydney, and that made our moods tired and sleepy, there wasn’t much talk amongst us when we hailed a cab to escort us to the hotel we were staying in.

I fell into a deep sleep as soon as I landed on the bed, but not before thinking that this was going to be a holiday I was not going to forget for a very long time. It was going to be very long and painful with Alex being with us and uncomfortable as they- my mother and father hadn’t been on a trip together since they had got divorced.

I was right on one of those accounts at least; that I would never forget that holiday in Sydney for a long time, if ever.

 But it wasn’t for the reasons I had accounted for.