Chapter 3

Chapter Three

NOT BEEN EDITED

Everyone has their own definitions for something or another. For instance Jayden our neighbour classified the word fun as football or video games, my primary school friend Angelina said the word dad meant hate. I didn't know what she could possibly mean at the age of seven. I knew that Olivia from my secondary school thought torture meant math.

I also had a definition of my own. The definition of the word perfect; Evie Hart.

She was perfect in every way; there was nothing that she did that she could have done better.

Once out of the blue when we were in year ten, she got an invite to a party, it was from someone in the sixth form. Evie opened it silently then passed it on to me.

"We aren't going are we?" I asked her, the panic in my voice was rising rapidly. She looked startled for a second or so, and then she shook her head.

"Of course not Ellie." Afterwards when I looked at the invite, I noticed that indeed it was from a sixth former. The sixth former whom I knew she had been crushing on for three months, but because she was such a perfect sister, she didn't go and instead stayed at home with me.

I found out after some time that Evie though had plenty of secrets. Secrets that she took no time in sharing with me.

"Evie had all these secrets," I said to my mom one day.

"Seems to run in the family," she replied with a tired sigh.

I wanted to ask her what she meant, but I held it back. And she went back to typing away on her computer.

When Evie went shopping for her wedding dress, she didn't ask me to accompany her. Instead she asked Jayden's sister who was twenty one and had been married for two years. Amelia Ross.

Amelia Ross and Jayden moved next door to us when we were eight, their mother had passed away and they were looking for a fresh start. Jayden was the same age as us but he didn't go to our school so we never became that close, but he used to come over sometimes and play video games. Their father Tom got married when Jayden was fourteen and going through a phase. The obnoxious boy phase my mother had called it, when we heard the shouting through the walls when we were eating dinner.

Evie had been watching me closely up to the days when she finally asked Amelia to go with her to choose her dream dress, I'm not sure what exactly it was about my behaviour but she found something.

That night when she finally came home with my mother and Amelia, I heard their voices from the hallway. Their excited, happy and gushy tones.

Evie knocked on my door, it was quiet so that I could have pretended that I hadn't heard it.

"Come in," I called sitting up and pushing my hair out of my face.

"Hey." Evie said as she poked her head around the door. When she saw me sitting up, she pushed the door wider and stepped fully inside my room.

"You can sit." I said to her.

So she did, for a couple of minutes she didn't say anything and just played with her fingers, then she looked at me.

"We had fun today," she started "But it would have been much more fun if you had come."

"And...,"I had a feeling that she wasn't finished.

"Well I did find some dresses obviously but I just couldn't choose one without you seeing it, so we told the lady to keep my favourite six so I could go back with you." She said quietly.