His Next Victim Part 26

His Next Victim

Chapter 25

Cain’s POV

We hopped into the car and began to follow after them.  I could only hope that Jade was okay.  For all we knew, she was dead already.  The boss could have killed her before taking off with her body.  I let out a sigh and banged my head against the head rest.

“We’ve been together for thirty minutes, and she’s already got me worried,” I groaned aloud.

Jeff sent me a glare. “If you would have told him to take you in, you would be with her right now.  He probably had enough sedative for the both of you.”

“That doesn’t work on my baby,” Jude said in disagreement.

“Yeah, but does Bob know that?”

Jude kept his stare on the road as he shook his head. “Never fully trust a fed no matter how close they are to you.”

Jeff crossed his hands over his chest and pouted.  “You don’t trust me anymore?”

I watched as Jude jerked the wheel causing Jeff to hit his head on the window. “I trust you as far as I can throw you.  Even when you won’t be a fed, I won’t trust you.  You, my friend, are sneaky.”

Jeff shrugged. “It comes with the territory.  I am a criminal.”

“You’re an agent,” I called out from the back. “Everything you do is legal.”

“Hmm, you’re right.  Now, follow after that car,” he commanded while throwing his arm out dramatically. 

I shook my head at him and leaned back once more.  Before I knew it, the car stopped and the engine cut off.

“He’s trying to get her out of the car,” Jude whispered, “and she’s faking like she’s passed out.”

I leaned closer to stare at Jude’s body. “How do you know she’s faking?”

He turned and looked at me before pointing at her hand. “She’s flipping me off.  I think she’s mad that we didn’t figure it out sooner.”

I nodded in understanding. “That makes since.  Now, how are we going to do this?”

“We wait until he gets into the house,” Jeff replied in a business tone. 

“Why would we do that?  We are at a disadvantage that way,” I told him.

Jeff shrugged. “Jade has a recording device on her.  Maybe we can get a little more out of him before she kills him.”

“Do you always keep a recording device of her?” I asked sarcastically.

Jude flashed me a sheepish smile and rubbed the back of his head.  I shook my head at him. “Hell no.  You are taking that off.”

There was no way I was letting her dad record ever conversation we have or anything else we might do.

“I just put it on her dress today.  I knew she was calling Bob, and I figured that we could use it to get some info about her interrogation,” he told me defensively.

Jeff let out a loud sigh. “They’re in, thank God.  Let’s go get out girl back.”

We all got out of the car as quietly as we could.  I eased the door closed without making a sound.  Reaching behind me, I pulled my gun out.  With Jade, I needed to be prepared for anything.  I was not about to go in there empty handed. 

Jude sent me a hand signal.  I just stood there and stared at him before mouthing. “I don’t understand criminal hand signals; try N.S.A. ones.”