chapter nine

[ chapter nine ; ]

"All right, we just need to get to the control room--" Claire was saying as they made their way through the exhibits, up until she got a phone call. "Lowery?" She paused, and Wanda grabbed up Gray's hand and tugged him along through space.

"But really, can I get your autograph?" Gray asked, tugging on Wanda's hand as they made their way.

She smiled down at him, more than a little amused at the boy-genius before her. "Perhaps later."

"The raptors?" Claire asked incredulously.

Wanda was already sighing inaudibly when Owen swore, which prompted a rather juvenile response from Gray.

Except none of them really had time to consider the possible ramifications of whatever was being done with the raptors, because at that exact moment, the huge doors blocking off the general population from the the park workers burst open, sending a rush of tourists into the area.

"Move! Move, move, move!" Owen shouted, and Wanda ushered Gray and Zach toward the nearest car (another jeep, did the island only have jeeps?) as Owen climbed into the front seat. 

Wanda pushed Gray into the jeep, then Zach, then climbed in after both of them and slammed the door after herself. No sooner had she done so than did the jeep kick into gear, zooming backwards in effort to get out of the way of the masses. They ended up in a niche away from everyone else, which finally seemed to get the shouting from the boys in the car to stop.

"Can we stay with you?" Zach and Gray asked at the same time. 

"I am never leaving you again, as long as you live," Claire declared breathlessly.

Zach and Gray were both gripping Owen, though, and instantly said, "No, no. Him. Him." 

"I mean," Gray leaned over Zach to look at Wanda, "I kind of would take you over Owen. Because you're an Avenger."

"Yeah, I didn't think of that," Zach mused, glancing over at Wanda then. "Okay, I changed my mind, I'm with her."

"Well look at how popular you are," Owen mused, glancing at Wanda in the rearview mirror, his smirk evident even from her current position. Then he looked over at Claire, "Lowery mentioned the raptors."

"He did," Claire agreed, nodding quickly. "Hoskins . . ."

"Took over?" Owen asked, kicking the jeep back into gear and taking off even faster than he had the first time, this time heading forwards instead of backwards. "I can't say I'm surprised."

"Who is Hoskins?" Wanda asked, nudging Gray and Zach aside to give her a little more breathing room.

"He's interested in turning the raptors into weapons," Owen stated flatly. "Given I am their trainer, and their alpha, you can imagine how I feel about that."

"I don't exactly have to imagine," Wanda pointed out with a small smile in his direction. "Honestly though, Owen, what can he do?"

"If he's brought a team in," Owen said slowly, but before he could finish, Claire had spoken up.

"He has," Claire said briskly, her disapproval evident in every fiber of her being. "He's done a complete take over of the park. He's planning on using the raptors to take down the Indominus . . . which means letting them loose in the park." 

"That is a terrible idea," Wanda agreed, a frown tugging her lips down and creasing her brow. She turned back to Owen, looking at him seriously. "If you are the alpha of them, then should you not be able to prevent this Hoskins' plan?"

She watched his jaw clench as he adjusted his hold on the steering wheel. "Let's hope so."

"If he can't, though," Gray began, leaning around Zach again, "couldn't you just . . . mind control them?" he asked Wanda, looking up at her expectantly.

Owen seemed intrigued by the idea, because he glanced back at her then too, eyebrows arching in curiosity. "Could you?" he asked, pressing the matter.

"That'd be kind of cool," Zach muttered in admittance, giving her a sideways look before continuing to look out the windows.

"I am not sure," Wanda said carefully. "I have not tried with animals. I am aware I can get a read on them; that's fairly easy across the board, though . . . I suppose we would have to see."

"Maybe we can test it, before it comes down to life or death," Owen mused.

"I don't know if that's the best idea," Claire said slowly, glancing over at Owen with evident hesitance. "I mean, these animals . . . they're very expensive--"

"They're also living things, Claire," Owen sighed heavily. "Look, could you do me a favor? Stop worrying about the animals, and start worrying about the people."

Claire's face immediately turned indignant. "I beg your pardon, I worry very much about the people! Especially the ones in this car!"

"Specifically her nephews," Wanda volunteered.

"How touching," Zach muttered under his breath, which got him a swift elbow from Wanda. 

"Be kind to your aunt," she warned lowly. "She does care very much for you."

Zach shifted uncomfortably in his seat then, giving a half-nod of confirmation. "Okay, okay," he sighed, though it was a noncommittal sound. She didn't put any credit in his words, though she would most certainly try anyway.

He reminded her too much of her brother for her not to.

"How long will it take us to get to the raptors?" Wanda asked then, leaning forward some so she was more between Claire and Owen than the boys.

"Around twenty minutes," Owen muttered. "Why, you have special plans?"

"None I can think of at the moment," Wanda said cheerfully.

Claire sighed and glanced back at her. "Miss Maximoff," she started to say.

"Wanda," Wanda was quick to correct.

"Wanda," Claire allowed. "I'm very sorry you've been dragged into all of this. I understand this is not at all what you were expecting when you came here . . . and I would like to apologize for how chaotic this has all turned out to be."

"Believe it or not, Claire," Wanda said with a small smile, "chaos and I are very acquainted. This is not the worst thing that has happened to me. Far from it, actually."

"I don't know if I should be glad to hear that or not," Claire sighed, leaning back in her seat. 

>>>

Wanda was out of the car the second Owen was, hot on heels as a larger man in a white button-up approached Owen. The other man, Hoskins, looked far happier to see Owen than Owen did him -- something that was confirmed when Owen reared back and clocked Hoskins.

"Get out of here, and stay away from my animals."

Well, they were off to a great start.