chapter three

[ chapter three ; ]

"I'm getting the Scarlet Witch," Owen stated, just about entirely fed up with the rest of the staff of Jurassic World. He was on the phone with Lowery, who was with Claire . . . which was of course the reason the call was happening. "We need more help than ACU can manage. That thing--"

"The Indominus Rex," Claire's voice was louder than Owen had anticipated.

"It's not a dinosaur, it's a freaking dino-cocktail," Owen retorted. "And I swear, Claire, you'd better not be sending ACU after this thing--"

"That's their job, Mr-- Owen. They've already been deployed."

"It is kinda their job, Owen," Lowery added.

"Did you give them lethals?" Owen demanded, whizzing through the park faster than any other vehicle. "Because if you didn't, you'd better pull them back. Now. They're going to die--"

"You are not in charge here, Owen--"

"He might have a point, Claire--"

And then there was a loud click and the dial tone, and Owen realized he'd been hung up on. Not that he was surprised. Claire likely had something to do with it (no, everything to do with it).

If they weren't going to listen to him, then he'd just have to hope they'd listen to an Avenger.

Who he had to find first.

Oddly enough, it wasn't as hard as he'd expected. Mostly because the exact woman he was looking for stepped smack in front of his jeep, causing him to slam on his brakes, and try very hard not to spew curses. Once he finished coming to a screeching halt, he was a little star-struck.

She had all the visible determination of a warrior, her long curls tied up on her head, her red-leather clad arms crooked, hands planted on her hips.

Owen rushed out of the car, slinging his rifle over one shoulder, "Wanda Maximoff, right?" he asked, trying to make his eyes look a little less like saucers.

Her eyes flickered from green to red, a smile curving her lips, before she spoke, words heavily accented. "And you are a worker here. Owen Grady. More knowledgable than the others I have encountered thus far."

He blinked once. Twice. Then a few more times, before seeming to come to his senses. "Right," he said slowly, "you, uh . . ." He waved a hand around his head, "mind things."

Wanda chuckled, shaking her head slightly. "Yes, I suppose that is as accurate a description as any. There is a problem, is there not?"

Owen hesitated, looking around at the people still milling about. In these situations, people had a herd mindset. He didn't really want to set that off with bad news. "Maybe something better for us to discuss in the jeep," he offered.

Her smile only widened. "I have no problem with that."

Owen offered a small smile in return. "Great. Then get in." He yanked his door back open, and soon enough she was in the passenger's seat of the jeep. They took off without a moment's hesitance from Owen.

"I am impressed at your discretion," Wanda stated first, buckling as they drove. "Most people do not recognize civilian behavior."

"Yeah, well, I was a behavior specialist in the Navy," Owen stated, glancing over at her. She was watching him attentively, even as he shrugged. "Kind of my area."

"This situation though, it is not?" she asked carefully.

"Uh, well-- yes and no. Yes because I now work with carnivorous dinosaurs, so I'm pretty knowledgable in the ways of the current problem . . . no because what we're up against isn't necessarily a dinosaur at all." He paused. "InGen created a new dinosaur. Some kind of hybrid thing. It's . . ."

"Escaped," she finished for him. "And it is a predator." She paused. "That is not good publicity."

Owen snorted a laugh. "Now you sound like the director of the park."

"A wise individual," Wanda stated, though there was an undertone of amusement in her voice. "Honestly, though . . . I do not know of what help I will be, but I would like to help."

Owen was both surprised and impressed at her honesty, though he kept that from making it's way to his face. "Well, good. Because we're headed to the control room now." He glanced at her yet again. "Maybe you can talk more sense into the people in charge than me."

Wanda shook her head with a slight smile. "If it is changing people's minds that you are after, with that I have no problem. But I do not see how this will help you with this 'hybrid.' If it is escaped, it would seem the -- as you say it -- clear and present is keeping it away from civilians."

Owen would've stared at her in surprise if he hadn't been driving. Then he reminded himself this was a super hero he was dealing with (albeit a very attractive super hero) and he managed to shake himself out of most of the shock. He just hoped she hadn't been listening in on those thoughts. "You know, you're right . . . but in this park, people don't act without the woman in charge's say so. So we've really got to get her say so."

Wanda was staring at him so hard Owen could practically feel it. "It would appear you are exempt from this rule."

He kind of laughed, but not for long. "Sweetheart, I don't get anybody's say so for anything. Though I'd sure appreciate it if people would start listening when I tried to advise them."

Wanda chuckled. "Perhaps the problem is that you are too gruff."

"Gruff?" he echoed incredulously, pulling into the control building's lot. He turned to her with an odd look on his face. "I'm not gruff. Maybe a little standoffish, but--"

"No, no," she shook her head, unbuckling and climbing out of the jeep. "You are gruff. A man's man. Perhaps you need to learn how to listen, in order to be heard, Owen Grady." She punctuated her words with a smile, before shutting her car door.