Cross examinating the Sorting Hat

Ellie

The three first yeas got off the train. looking around for where they were supposed to go, they followed a voice that was calling, "Firs' Years!"

"that's Hagrid," teddy explained.

Hagrid was standing next to one other kid who smiled and waved at them. Ellie looked around for other first years until Hagrid said, "that's every one, les go."

Ellie couldn't believe it, only four students in my year, she thought. it did help her understand a number of things, though, such as why she had been invited to Hogwarts in the first place.

The students could all fit in one boat. After they began to sail across the lake, Katrine broke the silence by bringing up the fact that there were only four kids in their year.

"My mum told me that this year would be small," said Kathrine, "but four students!" She shook her head in disbelief.

"I guess that's why they wanted me to come," Ellie mussed.

"well, the sorting hat will have a fun time figuring this out," laughed the fourth student who had introduced himself as Calvin.

"yes," chimed Teddy, turning to face Ellie, "They probably  invited you so that there would be one of us in each house."

The silence that met his words was actually quite loud, for now each student was absorbed in their own though. Ellie now realized that one of  them was going to be in Slytherin. 

The boat reached the shore and the children filled off.

They were met at the Great Hall by a witch dressed in black robes who was wearing large glasses that magnified her eyes. 

"I am professor Lovegood," she introduced her self, "I will be your transfiguration teacher. Now lets go to the sorting."

The first thing that Ellie noticed was the ceiling, or lack there of, for it looked just like the sky outside. Her worries about the sorting were momentarily forgotten until she saw the four tables. There were banners with the crests of each of the houses, and older students were already sitting at each of the tables. They  looked at the first years with confused expressions, and Ellie could see some of them leaning over to whisper to each other. 

Then, every ones gazes turned to the hat that was sitting on a bench in the middle of the room. It began to sing a song about the different houses.

Ellie listened attentively until a movement of to her side caught her eyes. Kathrine had clasped her hands over her ears and was making a face. I wonder what that's about? thought Ellie.

The hat finished its song and Professor Flitwick, a short, old wizard who was deputy- headmaster announced that he would call their names, and they would sit on the bench to  be sorted. 

Kathrine was the first to be called up. she sat down on the bench and waited a few seconds before the sorting hat called, "Ravenclaw!" There was a loud cheer form the other Ravenclaws and she walked over to sit at the table.

Next was Calvin, who's expression seemed worried. he had only just put the hat on his head the hat called, "Hufflepuff!"  looking relieved, he ran over to the table that cheered the loudest, the other Hufflepuffs.

Ellie thought to herself,  if the sorting hat is going to put one in each house, them the only choices are Grifindor and Slytherin

Professor Flitwick called, "Lupin, Ted." he walked forward to be sorted. While Ellie didn't want someone else to be in Slytherin instead of her, she couldn't help but wish that-

"Griffindor!" Ellie's mind went numb. She didn't hear the other students cheering. She didn't even hear Professor Flitwick call her name. She simply walked foreword to the bench, sat on it, and placed the hat on her head.

Somehow she knew that it would talk and she decided to beat the hat to it. 

Your going to put me in slytherin, she thought dejectedly.

There was a moments pause, when Ellie realized that she had probably surprised it, if it was possible to surprise a hat.

Then a voice whispered in her head, well, I wasn't sure until just now.

sure about what? she asked silently, putting me in slyherin? Slytherins have a reputation for being evil! are you saying that I'm evil? now she was panicking.

no, the hat replied, i think that it is very unlikely for you to do something to match the work of past dark wizards.

so why put me in this house? I have the qualities of some of the other houses... She suddenly wondered if she was trying to convince her self of this more than the sorting hat.

The hat replied, i think that you could help the slitherins reputation, help the world see that they arn't bad.

This was that last thing that she wanted to hear. why me? she sighed in despair. 

you do have some qualities of slyherins. the hat said mysteriously.

like what?! she demanded.

If I tell you, then it could change the future, it is best that you don't know, the hat replied.

Fine! Ellie's patience had snapped, put me in slyhterin! but if this plan of yours fails... she left the threat hanging. 

Ellie wondered if if was her imagination, put she thought at she heard the hat say, that's exactly what I was looking for, before it shouted, "Slytherin!"