Chapter 1: The Wand

Kathrine

Kathrine was shopping in Diagon Alley. She had received her letter last week, informing her that she was excepted into Hogwarts (she had known this for ages). It also included her list of equipment and supplies, including a wand.

Katherine wasn't exactly thrilled with being a witch. Sure she could learn to do all kinds of cool things with magic, but what she really enjoyed was music. Since she had been little, she had been dancing and taking music lessons. By now she could play four different instruments: viola, cello, piano and flute. She was also one of the best dancers in her level, and she was 2 years ahead. Going to Hogwarts would mean an end to all of it, at least until summer.

The only thing that she was excited about was getting a wand. She wondered if she waved it in a 3/4 time signature, if a waltz would start playing.

"Mom," she began,"can we get my wand first?"

"Sure sweetie," replied her mum.

Olivander's was  small and dusty. Wands in little cubby holes lined the walls like the button section of a knitting store that Katherine had once seen.

Mr. Olivander came out from the back room saying, "Ah, Marissa, I remember,  pine and unicon tail, 15 inches?" Kathrine's mom nodded and Kathrine sent shot her mum a questioning look. 

"And who is this?" Mr. Olivander asked when he noticed the young girl standing shyly in the corner.

"I'm Kathrine," she responded bravely while taking a step forward.

"Ah, so you need a wand, well lets see," Mr. Olivander seemed to be talking to himself now, "which arm is your wand arm?"

"Wand arm?" Katherine was confused.

"Your dominant hand"

"Er, I'm ambidextrous," Kathrine replied, sounding sightly worried. 

"Hold out both hands then," was Mr. Olivander's response, sounding as if it wasn't surprising at all.

Well of course, thought Kathrine, there must be plenty of ambidextrous witches and wizards. She held out both hands and was shocked when a measuring tape began to measure her arm all by itself. Kathrine jumped, but them stopped. She told herself to stop being surprised by every thing that was happening. she should be used to it. Her family was a wizarding family after all. They only used magic when necessary, so Kathine still got small shocks every once in a while when other magic families visited. 

"That should be enough," Mr. Olivander snapped and the ruler rolled itself up, "now lets see, try this one, cedar and phoenix feather, 13 inches."

"How am I supposed to wave it," she asked, " like I am trying to stab someone with a spoon, or as if I want to conduct an orchestra?" She took the wand and raised it, but something seemed wrong. Almost as if he could read her mind, Mr. Olivander took it and grabbed another wand off the shelf.

Kathrine held this one in her right hand and waved it, but Mr. Olivander snatched it out of her hand. 

"No?" he said, "try the next one."

Six more wands later, Kathrine was getting frustrated, but Mr. Olivander seemed happier at the challenge. "This one is oak and unicorn hair," he explained.

Kathrine took took the wand in her hand. The shining, painted wood caught her eye. Holding the wand delicately, in her left hand, she raised it and waved. The smile on her face explained every thing.

End. (like on my microwave)

__________________________________________________________

 Thanks for reading.