This Morning

I reached forward, grabbing the handle of the door to Layla's. I could see through the glass that Violet and Hallie were already setting up for our late-night shift. Violet, perched on the counter, giggled. Hallie stomped her foot at the sight of a pile of clothes falling over. I was just about to pull the door open and start my shift when something stopped me.

     "Maisie!" I turned at the sound of my name being called. My eyes moved, taking in the situation, looking for the owner of the voice. They settled upon Logan, jogging toward me. I frowned, my fingers uncurling around the handle. I watched him move from across the street; the market door was still only half closed.

     "Hey, can we talk for a minute?"

     I hesitated, looking back to the girls inside. The store was empty, as it usually was at this hour, but still, I felt I needed to be inside. I watched as Violet's eyes followed Hallie around the store. Hallie's eyes were in constant motion as she tried to flattened and organize the shelves.

     "I'm about to go to work." I looked back at him, biting my lip.

     "It'll only take a minute," He promised.

     As the late-night wind tussled my hair, I held my bangs out of my face. Being able to see the face I was looking at now, I nodded hesitantly, repeating his action as he took a seat on the concrete.

     "So," I started, pulling my knees to my chest, thankful I hadn't chosen to wear a dress tonight. I wrapped my arms loosely around them, resting my head on the store-front window, "What is it?"

      "I just wanted to know if you were okay," He looked at me, frowning, "with your mom, and everything."

     "Yeah," I lied, "We're great."

     He laughed at this, and I narrowed my eyes in his direction, unsure how this was funny.

     "You think I believe that?" He laughed again, scooting closer to me, "Honey, you're going to have to work on your lying." Taking offense to this, I stood up, crossing my arms over my chest. I waited for him to say something else, but when he didn't, I moved inside.

     "Maisie!" The bells on the front door jingled as he opened it. I kept walking, dropping my bag behind the counter, and grabbing my nametag.

     "Go away, Logan." I frowned, keeping my back turned to him as I made my way into the break room to punch in. As I pressed each button required, I could hear the conversation coming from the front.

     "She said to leave," Violet growled, defensively.

    "I just need to talk to—" Logan tried defending himself, but it was no use.

     "So, I suggest you leave now." She hissed, "Before I make you."

      As my shoes flattened on the tile floor, I emerged from the hidden area. I slid in front of the counter, lifting myself onto it. I smiled at Vi, before my eyes met Logan's.

      "Maisie, I don't understand why you're being—" Logan frowned, unable to find the words. I knew the general idea of words he was trying to find, and I sat up taller, finishing for him.

     "I'm always a bitch."

"     Why are you—?"

     "Get out." I jumped down, my arms extending to give me an extra push. My shoes clanked against the floor, and I crossed my arms, "Now."

     He scatted backward, unsure of my actions. His face was twisted into confusion and hurt, but I didn't care. He leaned his back up against the door, keeping his eyes on mine as he exited. He looked over his shoulder one more time, now only seeing me through the large windows, as he retreated back to the market.